Go Back   AFA Forums > Science, Logic and Reason > Humanities/Social Sciences

Humanities/Social Sciences Philosophy, History, Politics etc

Old 6th October 2017, 02:36 PM
An old banger, but almost unstoppable.

Default France under Louis XIV - Poison Witch-Hunt

LINKY

Key quote:
Quote:
“What’s noteworthy about the Affair is that it shows how people from the top to the bottom of the social spectrum participate in a shared magical understanding of the world,” says cultural historian Lynn Wood Mollenauer, of the University of North Carolina Wilmington. “This could only have been possible in a very religious society, because the power that’s attributed to magical ritual and practice almost entirely relies on Catholic sacerdotals and rituals—the Eucharist. It says something profound about religiosity.” The Affair was confusing, complex, convoluted—and persistent because everyone, however powerful, had a common fear of witchcraft, poisoning, and the unknown.

This strange series of events took place against a backdrop of extreme disparity, both economic and social. While many outside the court’s walls lived simple, even impoverished lives, those within could blow an entire fortune in single morning at the gambling table. And, while Louis XIV conspicuously attended daily Catholic mass, he and his court were described as the most libertine in Europe. The Spanish noble the Duke of Pastrana was more direct: The court, he said, was “a real brothel.” It was politically tempestuous and unforgiving, and its ruler a ruthless, albeit charming, womanizer.
Buggered if I know why it seems so familiar.

My confirmation bias is better 'n your confirmation bias.

Old 7th October 2017, 10:06 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: France under Louis XIV - Poison Witch-Hunt

It’s funny how the ones with the smallest knowledge of history seem to be compelled to invoke it and then repeat it.

Highly underrated discipline is history. I’d vote for a parliament of historians over lawyers with my right testicle.