Go Back   AFA Forums > Religion, Unreason and Similar Tropes > Religions

Religions Discussions on the various world religions and their impacts now and throughout history.

Old 13th September 2017, 10:33 PM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

Default Another gruesome subset of that "shitty little cult that got lucky"

These horror stories seem follow a pattern of abuse, and abuse, and abuse -

My life in a religious cult: 'The most dangerous place in the world is the womb of an ungodly woman'
After her childhood in a secretive cult founded by her grandfather, New Zealand woman Lilia Tarawa risked hellfire and damnation to escape. In this book extract, she shares a slice of her life at Gloriavale Christian Community

Quote:
On the west coast of the South Island of New Zealand, a religious cult named Gloriavale Christian Community closed itself off from the rest of the world in 1969.

Founded by the self-styled and self-named Australian religious leader Hopeful Christian – who was convicted and jailed on three charges of indecent sexual assault of a young woman in 1995 – the 500-strong community was run according to a strict and oppressive interpretation of fundamental Christianity.

Women had to cover their heads, show no flesh so as not to tempt sin from the menfolk, do all the domestic work, submit to their husbands and birth as many babies as they could.

Eight years ago, Lilia Tarawa – granddaughter of Hopeful Christian – escaped with her family into what she had always believed to be the evil, wicked world. This is an extract from her memoir about her life in the cult.

Much more at link.

Last edited by Blue Lightning; 13th September 2017 at 10:41 PM.
Like knowledge is power liked this post
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black, wolty thanked this post
Old 14th September 2017, 10:14 AM
Take my advice, don't listen to me

Default Re: Another gruesome subset of that "shitty little cult that got lucky"

the odd thing is that they all need to invent their own cult.

Quote:
Women had to cover their heads, show no flesh so as not to tempt sin from the menfolk, do all the domestic work, submit to their husbands and birth as many babies as they could.
they could have just become muslim.

amazing how many ego maniacal sadist tyrants are around.
Old 14th September 2017, 10:19 AM
Mostly Armless

Every one of these secluded cults is supposedly centred on exclusive custody of the sole, authentic, divine truth.

If that's the case, why is it that each of these pestilent, abusive excuses for patriarchal indulgence is virtually identical in hierarchical and rule structure to the rest?

(And a big hello to ex-GF, Ms A.C. - I hope you are out now, and recovering as well as you can.)

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - H. L. Mencken

Old 14th September 2017, 11:12 AM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

With every cult story you start to read, you wait for the seemingly inevitable revelation of sexual abuse by the leadership. This one's no exception. We recently had Ram Raheem in India, too. Countless others. The supposedly mainstream religions have it too of course.

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
Every one of these secluded cults is supposedly centred on exclusive custody of the sole, authentic, divine truth.

If that's the case, why is it that each of these pestilent, abusive excuses for patriarchal indulgence is virtually identical in hierarchical and rule structure to the rest?

(And a big hello to ex-GF, Ms A.C. - I hope you are out now, and recovering as well as you can.)
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
Old 14th September 2017, 11:17 AM
Mostly Armless

Quote:
stylofone said View Post
With every cult story you start to read, you wait for the seemingly inevitable revelation of sexual abuse by the leadership. This one's no exception. We recently had Ram Raheem in India, too. Countless others. The supposedly mainstream religions have it too of course.
Indeed, Stylo.

Without the trimmings, it all looks like "How do I divide, control, and screw the living daylights out of a group of people? I know! Let's put on a cult!"

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - H. L. Mencken