Go Back   AFA Forums > Science, Logic and Reason > Technology and Innovations

Technology and Innovations All Things Technological

Old 11th August 2015, 07:48 PM
AFA Member

Default Robot bricklayer

http://news.domain.com.au/domain/rea...gn=newsnetwork

Developed in Australia apparently.

Jason Merrett, "of Melbourne-based Balwyn and District Bricklaying," made an interesting comment.

Quote:
admitted while it may be possible for robots to replace the jobs done by bricklayers, it would be challenging because "every job is different".

"There's something like 200,000 bricks a day in Victoria that are delivered to different building sites, so you can see how many bricklayers and labourers that takes up," he said.
What he fails to note is, that is one hour's work for 200 Hadrians, so 200 of these machines could easily replace Victoria's entire bricklaying force and more. And as far as every job being different, who is he kidding? The last time I drove through a new housing project just about every single house was a variation of the same basic design with the garage moved around and minor features adjusted.

For bulk construction of basic housing this would be ideal, although I can envisage only a short lifetime for this technology, this is just house printing using preformed wall components and great strides are being made in that technology at the moment.
Old 19th December 2015, 02:29 PM

Default Re: Robot bricklayer

Have you ever had a go at laying bricks? Just about anyone can do it but getting a good result is the hard part, getting them all level on each course can be a challenge....
But like all facets in the buliding game there is always someone coming up with a cheaper more efficient way of doing things like taps that never leak or never need a washer replaced. Bricks are falling out of favour anyway, steel frames covered with "Blueboard" and rendered are now the Architectural preferences to cut down on labour costs yet give increased longevity....... I think Hadrian may be just too late on the scene...
Old 19th December 2015, 02:49 PM
AFA Member

Que anti-robot riots in 3....2.....1....
Old 19th December 2015, 07:44 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Tramcar Trev said View Post
Have you ever had a go at laying bricks? Just about anyone can do it but getting a good result is the hard part, getting them all level on each course can be a challenge....
But like all facets in the buliding game there is always someone coming up with a cheaper more efficient way of doing things like taps that never leak or never need a washer replaced. Bricks are falling out of favour anyway, steel frames covered with "Blueboard" and rendered are now the Architectural preferences to cut down on labour costs yet give increased longevity....... I think Hadrian may be just too late on the scene...
Arguably a brick laying robot is just a 3D house printer using very large pixels. If the labour cost was zero, that is if the robot could do all the work, which would be the preferable method, I am not sure you could ever completely automate the steel frames, board and render process so there will always be some component of labour cost involved.
Old 19th December 2015, 08:00 PM
You get what everyone gets....you get a lifetime

Who needs bricks?

World's first 3D-printed apartment building constructed in China

Old 19th December 2015, 10:56 PM
AFA Member

Yes I follow 3D printing quite a bit so I have seen most of the videos, the robot bricklayer is at worst a stopgap solution, at it's best it's a way of transitioning to full 3D printing without suddenly making all the brickworks and cement factories in the world suddenly redundant and putting thousands of people out of work.