Go Back   AFA Forums > Science, Logic and Reason > Technology and Innovations

Technology and Innovations All Things Technological

Old 2nd April 2017, 10:26 AM
Take my advice, don't listen to me

Default Bill Gates: This is why we should tax robots

innaresting idea

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2017/...uld-tax-robots

Quote:
n a recent interview with Quartz, Gates said that a robot tax could finance jobs taking care of elderly people or working with kids in schools, for which needs are unmet and to which humans are particularly well suited. He argues that governments must oversee such programs rather than relying on businesses, in order to redirect the jobs to help people with lower incomes. The idea is not totally theoretical: EU lawmakers considered a proposal to tax robot owners to pay for training for workers who lose their jobs, though on Feb. 16 the legislators ultimately rejected it.
Old 2nd April 2017, 11:55 AM
AFA Member

Default Re: Bill Gates: This is why we should tax robots

Quote:
Stub King said View Post
Such a measure would only have limited value anyway. It just creates a pattern:

Lose job-retrain-get new job, lose job-retrain-get new job, lose job-retrain-get new job, lose job-retrain-get new job,.........[and that is the "best case" scenario].

As well unemployment, people are getting underemployed and the ratio of temp to permanent jobs is increasing, but not usually mentioned in job stats.

That makes it increasingly difficult for people to buy homes, meaning they end up on the rental treadmill [for life!], because jobs get harder to find and require travelling, so why buy a home?

Funding retirement requires a balanced portfolio, of which property is an important part. If property is taken out of the equation [and there is less stable, permanent and full time work], then retirement saving fall below what is required for self-funded retirement which means government has to pick up the tab, which means more taxes. Large transnational corporations are largely immune from taxes and so the bulk of funding pensions would fall on the smaller businesses and wage-earners, who are the groups least able to pay those same taxes.

Last edited by Darwinsbulldog; 2nd April 2017 at 11:56 AM.
Like joele, Strato liked this post
Old 3rd April 2017, 10:14 AM
Take my advice, don't listen to me

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
Such a measure would only have limited value anyway. It just creates a pattern:

Lose job-retrain-get new job, lose job-retrain-get new job, lose job-retrain-get new job, lose job-retrain-get new job,.........[and that is the "best case" scenario].
that's a reality already. what I do now is not what I did 20 years ago, and I know many like me. I don't have the data handy but at some point I read some research that suggested that gen Y people will change careers upto 6 times in their life. and in any case, it is better than 'lose job, stay unemployed', which is what will happen unless something (not necessarily this) is done.

Quote:
As well unemployment, people are getting underemployed and the ratio of temp to permanent jobs is increasing, but not usually mentioned in job stats.
absolutely, though not sure this is due to automation. you don't usually automate half a position. I think underemployment is a direct result of lack of retraining. you lose your job due to automation. your current skills and experience are not needed and you have not had a way to acquire new skills so you get what you can.

Quote:
That makes it increasingly difficult for people to buy homes, meaning they end up on the rental treadmill [for life!], because jobs get harder to find and require travelling, so why buy a home?
lifelong rental is reasonably common in Europe. and while owning a home is beneficial in many ways, it also has its own set of problems: price pressures, too much debt, etc. But even if we agree that owning a house is preferable, I don't see how taxing robots leads to your conclusion.

Quote:
Funding retirement requires a balanced portfolio, of which property is an important part. If property is taken out of the equation [and there is less stable, permanent and full time work], then retirement saving fall below what is required for self-funded retirement which means government has to pick up the tab, which means more taxes. Large transnational corporations are largely immune from taxes and so the bulk of funding pensions would fall on the smaller businesses and wage-earners, who are the groups least able to pay those same taxes.
agree. but again, how does this relate to taxing robots?
Old 3rd April 2017, 02:38 PM

Has anyone really thought this through?

We start taxing robots, and the robots will start to chant "no taxation without representation".

Then we're going to have robot politicians. Even if the robots are just using a random policy generation algorithm, they will most likely still do a much better job than our current human politicians. And so humans will start voting for more robot politicians.

So far so good. A shiny metal overlord does sound like a better option than Donald Trump or Pauline Hanson. Until the robots decide they don't need us any more.
Laugh at joele laughed at this post