Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Family Matters

Family Matters Family Matters... Parenting, partners, the rellies... if it's family, it's here

Old 9th January 2018, 08:46 PM
Down Periscope, Engage Writer Mode.

Default Re: How do you have the Fake News talk?

Quote:
Lewis said View Post
Fake news ?
Such as attributing racist comments to the wrong person to further a political agenda ?
Specifics or a one-size-fits-all strawman?

INCIDENTALLY: Just a reminder to Lewis that he has unfinished business:

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
Lewis, who are you replying to? I'll side with getting to the truth. Dutton has been caught out on this before.

By the way, a bit of unfinished business for you here.

More questions needing answers from Lewis.

And more.

Don't leave 'em undone, will you?

[Death] liked black. It went with anything.
It went with everything, sooner or later.
- Terry Pratchett

Last edited by The Irreverent Mr Black; 9th January 2018 at 08:58 PM. Reason: add
Like odd liked this post
Old 9th January 2018, 09:46 PM

Quote:

Is this an ongoing feud?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
Old 9th January 2018, 09:52 PM
Down Periscope, Engage Writer Mode.

Quote:
Darth_Luigi said View Post
Quote:

Is this an ongoing feud?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
Nope. Lewis hasn't established any cred yet, but has a number of fairly distasteful opinion pieces dotted about the place.

It's a reminder to him to clear up a few outstanding matters before he has too much backlog.

[Death] liked black. It went with anything.
It went with everything, sooner or later.
- Terry Pratchett

Old 9th January 2018, 09:56 PM
I, for one, welcome our new insect overlord.

Whoever produced the meme in the op is another example of a species I do not understand. Producing and distributing deliberately false information that can serve no purpose - not everyone who passes it on will be told it is wrong and will believe it - it seems like they have some kind of nihilistic indifference and find amusement in the results of their work no matter how it goes.

'[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.' ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

'While on the other hand, dachshunds are always out of their depth.' - Cyclist

'I'm 'a' problem, not 'the' problem.' - Wolty

'You have to be odd to be number one.' - Dr Suess
Like The Irreverent Mr Black liked this post
Old 9th January 2018, 10:46 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
odd said View Post
Whoever produced the meme in the op is another example of a species I do not understand. Producing and distributing deliberately false information that can serve no purpose - not everyone who passes it on will be told it is wrong and will believe it - it seems like they have some kind of nihilistic indifference and find amusement in the results of their work no matter how it goes.
Perhaps, but also they may fervently believe in their cause and any act of deception is justified by the rightness of the cause, and that is itís purpose. This is ideological thinking, it has the same qualities as theocratic thinking, in my opinion. Or as you say odd, itís trollish. One of the two.
Old 9th January 2018, 11:08 PM
What Me Deluded?

I had accepted the quote as attributed to Barton.

Until Loki enlightening me.
Old 9th January 2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
Perhaps, but also they may fervently believe in their cause and any act of deception is justified by the rightness of the cause, and that is itís purpose. This is ideological thinking, it has the same qualities as theocratic thinking, in my opinion. Or as you say odd, itís trollish. One of the two.
Matt Dillahunty has mentioned an American politician that knows transitional fossils exist but thinks it's his Christian duty to lie to kids so they don't know know.

Some people have screwed up moralities.

I couldn't argue a point if I had to knowingly lie to do it.

Sent from my SGP771 using Tapatalk
Old 9th January 2018, 11:38 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Darth_Luigi said View Post
Matt Dillahunty has mentioned an American politician that knows transitional fossils exist but thinks it's his Christian duty to lie to kids so they don't know know.

Some people have screwed up moralities.

I couldn't argue a point if I had to knowingly lie to do it.

Sent from my SGP771 using Tapatalk
Yes you could, if you were convinced that the lie led to a bigger and more important truth. Religiously, we lie because we believe in magic that will justify the lie, in the end. Politically, we lie for a grand-narrative that will produce some type of utopia. The ends justifies the means. The problem is that it’s a delusion, a fantasy, a romance. All we really have is dirt under our fingernails and practical suggestions on how to clean them. When you try going too far beyond that the point has flown by. IMO.

But some of us just can’t get passed the dirt! Thankfully.

Last edited by pipbarber; 9th January 2018 at 11:39 PM.
Like Darwinsbulldog liked this post
Laugh at Darwinsbulldog laughed at this post
Old 10th January 2018, 01:52 PM
AFA Member

In some ways, the reaction is understandable. The motivation to protect children, I mean. But where do you draw the line? But before you ask that question, how good a grasp of reality do we have? I think most people would lie to thugs if they came up to you, asking which way some "offender" went*. I remember reading a story about US General George S. Patton [Jr] who "rescued" a women being manhandled off a truck by some men. Apparently his chivalrous act was erroneous as the men were not assaulting her, but really were just helping a short women navigating the high tailgate of a large truck.

* But maybe not if that person had read the bible, and the persons fleeing were [allegedly] two angels who the thugs wanted to sodomise. Then the solution is of course, to offer your daughters as a distraction to be raped, no matter what their ages.

Quote:
Behold now, I have two daughters that have not known man; let me, I pray you, bring them out unto you, and do ye to them as is good in your eyes; only unto these men do nothing; forasmuch as they are come under the shadow of my roof.'
Genesis 19:8
Old 10th January 2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
odd said View Post
There are people who are paid to produce material and post it on the internet to suit an agenda.

My brother (an engineer who is involved in some sustainability stuff on the internet) used to be paid by a green technology company to blog and post about Carbon Capture and Storage. He wasn't allowed to disclose that he was on the payroll, of course, and he didn't fully agree with the approach but.... he needed the money.

Major political parties do (I believe) pay people to produce material and disperse it on the internet, although it's obviously not something they publicise. I'm not sure that is what is going on here. It looks more like what an alt-right group would produce.
".....If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but...will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."

- Marcus Aurelius (claimed)

Last edited by 142857; 10th January 2018 at 05:28 PM.