Go Back   AFA Forums > Religion, Unreason and Similar Tropes > Religions

Religions Discussions on the various world religions and their impacts now and throughout history.

Old 17th April 2017, 08:39 AM
AFA Member

Default Death threats for Jesus cartoon

A Sydney restaurant has faced an avalanche of death threats and been forced to close as a result of posting a Jesus cartoon on facebook here.

Quote:
BBzTTTU.jpg
A Sydney restaurant has asked the public to stop contacting them “with death threats and threats of extreme violence,” in response to a meme it posted on Good Friday.

Mamasan, a Japanese restaurant in Surry Hills, posted an image to Facebook with text that read ‘Mamasan is closed tonight. It’s all Jesus’ fault.’
Staff member Adam Hunt, who initially posted the meme, apologised to the restaurant's Facebook followers on Saturday, after receiving significant backlash online.

"Yesterday I posted some images that made light of religion, and even worse, attached them to the Mamasan Surry Hills page," he wrote.

"This was the stupidest thing I have ever done."

Hunt went on to say he was "deeply sorry for the offence that I have caused you all," and said, "I deserve anger, and I probably deserve some abuse back because of the offensive nature of my stupid post".

However, he asked that "people stop contacting the restaurant with death threats and threats of extreme violence against myself and the staff."

Hours later, owner Gemma Lin shared a message, saying "I have always, and will continue to love, support and encourage my customers from a myriad of races, religions, social minorities and majorities".
Lin expressed her shock over the threats directed at the business, "through social media, digital platforms, telephone calls and emails".

She then shared screenshots of the threats and abuse received by the restaurant, including one comment that expressed hope the business would "get bombed and you die in the explosion".

Another read, "I wanna nail his hands to his wall," while a response to that comment said, "I will hold him... while you nail him. We can use nail guns. They are not painful enough".

Ultimately, Lin said that in order to respect those the post offended, the restaurant has chosen to close over the Easter long weekend.
Of course its not as bad as the actual bombings and killings in response to the Mohammad cartoons, but the wish for death and destruction is ameliorated by the rule of law. On the other hand John Lennon was killed by a man angry that he had claimed that the beetles were bigger than Jesus.
One wonders though what the limits are.
People forget that the New Testament also has killing by God of Ananias and Saphira, members of the Church.

Last edited by wadaye; 17th April 2017 at 08:44 AM.
Old 17th April 2017, 09:08 AM
AFA Member

Default Re: Death threats for Jesus cartoon

Just reading the actual death threats on the Mamasan facebook site. Its pretty bad.
Old 17th April 2017, 09:21 AM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

I think I might make it my lunch stop this week just to counter the stupidity.
Like Blue Lightning, wadaye liked this post
Old 18th April 2017, 12:03 AM

What truly beautiful words from those kind and loving christians.
Old 18th April 2017, 11:19 AM
AFA Member

And anybody reading Harry Potter books...well watch out!
Old 19th April 2017, 12:33 AM
Tanto Nomini Nullum par Elogium

Cheers to Mamasan.

Recanting about seeing religion as a bad meme and saying so isn't really possible. The genie is out of the bottle.

I hope they don't feel threatened. No fun, just for telling it like it is.
Old 19th April 2017, 10:19 AM

Every time a believer offers to lift a hand (fist, club, gun, etc) to exact revenge on behalf of their chosen, (supposedly) all-powerful, invisible bugaboo, aren't they tacitly admitting that even they don't expect the fictional entity to have the power to do anything about it?