Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Education

Education How it is and how it should be. The current system and those attempting to subvert it.

Old 3rd August 2017, 05:00 PM
Dog v2.0 is my co-pilot

Default Re: NSW: Year 11 Critical Thinking Exam

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post
Not for "having used" - I am no prohibitionist, but I would suspend members who read positive for enough of anything to impair their judgement.

A certain beetrooty-looking senior member would be a possible example.

Most would test positive for religious addiction, and are therefore disqualified. Some people can't hold their liquor, and some people can't hold their god, like Cory Bernardi and co.
Some goddisms would definitely qualify as "stupefying", if not as "substances".

If the sleep of reason produces monsters, what does the sleep of unreason produce? - Guillermo Cabrera Infante

Like DanDare liked this post
Old 3rd August 2017, 05:19 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Religion is an addictive substance, working via the placebo or nocebo effect. [Depending on whether religion drives people to do "good" or "bad" works].

They work exactly I the same way as most addictive substances, they mess with the pleasure/reward centres, thus warping the brain's heuristics. Sometimes even sexual extacy is involved.
Old 3rd August 2017, 05:34 PM
Dog v2.0 is my co-pilot

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
Quote:
Religion is an addictive substance, working via the placebo or nocebo effect. [Depending on whether religion drives people to do "good" or "bad" works].

They work exactly I the same way as most addictive substances, they mess with the pleasure/reward centres, thus warping the brain's heuristics. Sometimes even sexual extacy is involved.
Catherine of Siena would come under the "ecstatic" heading, but I still say goddism lacks substance.

Some would say that is a telling feature of gods in general.

If the sleep of reason produces monsters, what does the sleep of unreason produce? - Guillermo Cabrera Infante

Old 3rd August 2017, 09:01 PM
What Me Deluded?

Quote:
Quote:
joele said View Post
Quote:
@KiP: Yes! Along with regular, random, drug/alcohol and probity tests.
No to the drug tests, that will just see politicians like Fiona Patten kicked out, or can we exempt the ones who openly admit it? lol

Not for "having used" - I am no prohibitionist, but I would suspend members who read positive for enough of anything to impair their judgement.

Would they be allowed to be on a substance that might transform their judgement?

I feel certain Tony Abbott has never done anything.

Richard Dawkins on the other hand dropped acid in Berkeley and attended demos.

At Oxford on the Rhodes scolarship the Catholic Higher Ups, (Uncle George?) pulled strings to get for Tony, he was more given to the boxing. He came out swinging, still does. They called him 'The Whirling Dervish'.

I wouldn't be for banning 'consciousness altering' substances.
Old 5th August 2017, 08:58 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
Strato said View Post
Quote:
Quote:
joele said View Post
Quote:
No to the drug tests, that will just see politicians like Fiona Patten kicked out, or can we exempt the ones who openly admit it? lol

Would they be allowed to be on a substance that might transform their judgement?

At Oxford on the Rhodes scolarship the Catholic Higher Ups, (Uncle George?) pulled strings to get for Tony, he was more given to the boxing. He came out swinging, still does. They called him 'The Whirling Dervish'.

Mind affecting drugs are mind affecting drugs. Alcohol is one of them.
Old 5th August 2017, 09:28 AM
Dog v2.0 is my co-pilot

Quote:
wadaye said View Post
Quote:
Strato said View Post
Quote:
Quote:
joele said View Post
Quote:

Mind affecting drugs are mind affecting drugs. Alcohol is one of them.
A is for Abbott; A is also for Alcohol

Old 6th August 2017, 01:32 AM
What Me Deluded?

Quote:
Quote:
joele said View Post
Quote:

I am curious as to how such a test would be conducted and its content? Who makes the determination as to competence? One is deliberating on matters of policy, often implicitly moral considerations.

What about members who are on dexamphetamine or Ritalin for adult ADD, or perhaps for narcolepsy? Or antipsychotics or bipolar medication? They are granted a license to drive.

My dad was a Halifax pilot. The crews were given amphetamines to take on each bombing mission over Germany. Performance enhancers. The soldier faces unique situations. Drugs are certainly an option for the military. That's not parliament however.

Maybe sitting members should be tested for testostrerone.

http://www.army-technology.com/featu...hancing-drugs/

JFK took dex plus a whole battery of meds. He could function. His brain probably just gobbled them up.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=125593&page=1

I think in the future, it will be commonplace to take performance enhancing drugs. Or soma. Micro-dosing on LSD or psilocybin goes on in Silicon Valley, where one has to process data and recognise patterns at much higher than normal capacity, in cyber-jobs.

Certainly the Homo Deus class whom Yuval Noah Harari foresees will dominate the world this century won't be abstainers from designer drugs.

Last edited by Strato; 6th August 2017 at 01:33 AM.