Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 13th August 2017, 02:23 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Default Marriage Equality Action

My letter to my MP:

Quote:
Dear Ms Prentice,

I am a voter in your electorate and I am unhappy about the way the government has treated the issue of marriage equality.

The question is one of a just and fair society. Marriage in the eyes of the government is an enabling condition that allows two people to legally act and be treated as a couple, regardless of that being recognised by one religion or another. There can be no satisfactory reason for imposing sex based qualifiers on the right to be married.

The governments refusal to allow a conscience vote on the matter is entrenching a "no vote".

The plebiscite, being non-binding, is saying that if Australians for some strange reason said "No" then a binding no vote would be cast, but if, as expected, Australians said yes, then no binding yes vote would be called for. That is lop sided indeed.

An optional, postal plebiscite is even worse since the result is suspect in so many ways and gives no further information than has already been achieved by a myriad of surveys. That now brings the additional issue of wasting tax payers money in a folly.

Further to this, Australians cannot easily have a "respectful" debate about an issue where the starting point for the issue is a disrespectful one.

Given that the marriage act was changed by John Howard in 2004 without a plebiscite then it is reasonable for the government, based on considerations of fairness, and the clear will of the public, to change it to be more inclusive.

Please consider this as you act within your party on these matters.

Yours Sincerely,

Danny Stevens
Kenmore
I was prompted by: http://www.equalitycampaign.org.au/home

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black, Strato, wolty thanked this post
Old 13th August 2017, 02:27 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Default Re: Marriage Equality Action

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 13th August 2017, 07:30 PM
What Me Deluded?

Default Re: Marriage Equality Action

It is really not for the people to confer or continue to deny same sex couples the right to marry. That's a reflection of the status quo. Women were subject to patriarchy's authorisation as whether they might vote. That question was on whether women could be deemed capable of reasoning. How utterly demeaning.

If this odious voluntary plebiscite were to result in a 'yes' verdict, we might expect the stigma and alienation gay people now experience to diminish into the future, hopefully.

But the government is withholding any commitment to ratify a majority 'yes' outcome. What a farce. Show some integrity.

This term 'conscience' vote is not universally applicable. I think the stance of people like Mathias Corman , Christensen, Bernardi, Hanson, Abbott reflects a mentality, a mind set. To call theirs a position of conscience is a misnomer. That serves to legitimate what is really bigotry, prejudice, dogma, and not free thinking.
Like The Irreverent Mr Black, DanDare liked this post