Go Back   AFA Forums > Science, Logic and Reason > Technology and Innovations

Technology and Innovations All Things Technological

Old 11th December 2015, 01:39 PM
AFA Member

Default Helium Plasma

https://richarddawkins.net/2015/12/t...-in-operation/

Quote:
On 10th December 2015 the first helium plasma was produced in the Wendelstein 7-X fusion device at the Max Planck Institute for Plasma Physics (IPP) in Greifswald. After more than a year of technical preparations and tests, experimental operation has now commenced according to plan. Wendelstein 7-X, the world’s largest stellarator-type fusion device, will investigate the suitability of this type of device for a power station.
Old 11th December 2015, 03:03 PM
Resident of Fantasy Island

Default Re: Helium Plasma

Interesting. The immense labour involved reminds me of Higgs Boson particle implosive machine that operated several years ago somewhere in Europe. Is helium plasma a form of energy that will be generated in future power plants. How does it differ from electrical power plants? How does its efficiency compare to that of electrical, nuclear, turbo and solar plants?

Last edited by Azurisan21; 11th December 2015 at 03:05 PM.
Old 11th December 2015, 05:10 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Azurisan21 said View Post
Interesting. The immense labour involved reminds me of Higgs Boson particle implosive machine that operated several years ago somewhere in Europe. Is helium plasma a form of energy that will be generated in future power plants. How does it differ from electrical power plants? How does its efficiency compare to that of electrical, nuclear, turbo and solar plants?
As explained in the article the generation of Helium Plasma was a test only, they are not going to, and never intended to, generate power from helium plasma.

Quote:
“Everything went according to plan.” The next task will be to extend the duration of the plasma discharges and to investigate the best method of producing and heating helium plasmas using microwaves. After a break for New Year, confinement studies will continue in January, which will prepare the way for producing the first plasma from hydrogen.
Creating the helium plasma is to test the confinement properties of the magnetic field under working conditions, the next step is to test it with hydrogen plasma which requires a much higher temperature, and as we all know hydrogen fusion is the eventual aim, hydrogen fusion is an ideal power source. The Tokomak and the Stellerator are two different designs of fusion reactors, both with the eventual aim to produce a self sustaining hydrogen fusion reaction.

There is a more detailed article here if you would care to read that one;

http://www.ipp.mpg.de/3984226/12_15

Oh by the way;

Quote:
turbo and solar plants
I know what a solar power plant is, but by turbo did you mean tidal?

And;

Quote:
The immense labour involved reminds me of Higgs Boson particle implosive machine that operated several years ago somewhere in Europe.
This would be the Large hadron Collider at CERN on the Franco-Swiss border? It has only just ramped up to a record breaking 6.5 tera-electron volts (TeV for short) and is probably going to see many more years of useful research and discovery so using the past tense is not required here.

As far as efficiency is concerned it's hard to say, what factors are we looking at, energy over lifetime compared to capital investment? Energy produced versus energy required to run? Hydrogen Fusion after the initial start is a positive energy cycle producing more energy than it uses. Arguably traditional energy system don't actually produce energy, they convert it from one form to another, ie; oil to petrol to heat, it's a chemical process and overall the energy in the biosphere remains the same, how much is unused in the conversion process is one way of measuring efficiency, but of course we are ignoring the huge investment in oil wells, ships, pipelines, fuel stations and vehicle manufacture that lets us use that energy source. Hydrogen Fusion will of course be used to create electrical energy, and as such will probably be more efficient than solar in conversion, but maybe not as efficient as tidal, but will certainly be able to produce more power in a given period than either, it will be a very good source of peak electricity and probably won't replace solar and tidal altogether, or thermal for that matter, they all have their advantages for certain situations and locations.

Last edited by stevebrooks; 11th December 2015 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12th December 2015, 12:44 PM
AFA Member

Oh and since we are discussing fusion I should drop this here as well;

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-29710811

Quote:
The advanced projects team at Lockheed, known as Skunk Works, has unveiled a plan to develop a compact, magnetic fusion device in less than a decade.

OK, Skunk Works has a history of developing secret military aircraft over the past 70 years, but nuclear fusion?

What have they been smoking, you might say.

The team believe they have found a new way of squeezing atoms together so they fuse and generate energy, in a small-scale magnetic device.
As a result, they aim to build a reactor a 10th the size of current approaches.

They argue that their device, which would fit on the back of a truck, could produce 100 megawatts (MW) of power and use just 25kg of fuel in a year.
And this;

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-23408073

Quote:
The world's largest bid to harness the power of fusion has entered a "critical" phase in southern France.

The Iter project at Cadarache in Provence is receiving the first of about one million components for its experimental reactor.
Old 12th December 2015, 06:51 PM
AFA Member

The world's largest bid to harness the power of fusion has entered a "critical" phase in southern France.

The Iter project at Cadarache in Provence is receiving the first of about one million components for its experimental reactor.

They are way behind me, I already have over 5 components for a reactor.
Old 13th December 2015, 01:46 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
bruce1937 said View Post

They are way behind me, I already have over 5 components for a reactor.
And I'm sure I can get hold of some copper wire and magnets somewhere, shall we get to work?
Old 13th December 2015, 09:46 AM
You get what everyone gets....you get a lifetime

I will donate 2 rolls of the crucial component of all successful engineering projects. Duct tape.

Guaranteed successful now.

Old 13th December 2015, 03:54 PM
What Me Deluded?

All that energy people expend on exercise equipment, they should be generating electricity. Everybody should be made to. It's for the planet.

The Tour de France, all those kilojoules wasted.
Old 14th December 2015, 02:01 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Strato said View Post
All that energy people expend on exercise equipment, they should be generating electricity. Everybody should be made to. It's for the planet.

The Tour de France, all those kilojoules wasted.
I tend to find that most exercise equipment uses power, not the other way around, people generally only do that if there is a plus factor involved, like maybe making the TV work. Just plug the TV into the exercise bike.

And really, wasted kilojoules? We all know that energy can't be destroyed, they are just warming up the planet by converting biomass into heat, if we had a heat exchanger we could then harness that energy for good instead of evil.
Old 14th December 2015, 02:55 PM
AFA Member

I knew there was a good reason why I shy away from exercise, it is so I do not warm up the planet by wantonly expending kilojoules, instead I am banking them around my midriff storage facility. What a great guy I am.