Go Back   AFA Forums > Science, Logic and Reason > Technology and Innovations

Technology and Innovations All Things Technological

Old 9th April 2016, 11:59 AM
AFA Member

Default Re: Reusable Rockets

And in another first, the dragon capsule launched by the Falcon 9 was carrying an inflatable living module for the space station, designed by Bigelow Aerospace. This is just a test module that will be attached to the station and left empty but monitored for two years, if it proves successful it will possibly lead to much cheaper station design and launching since for a given size and weight payload it will provide ten times the operational and living space of a regular module.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-35997794

The test podule, as they call them, is a small one, here collapsed for shipping;

Here as it will look inflated and attached to the station;

If successful it will be followed up by podules twenty times the size, probably as large as they can design them to fit into the dragon capsule cargo bay.

http://www.space.com/28855-inflatabl...t-bigelow.html

Last edited by stevebrooks; 9th April 2016 at 12:01 PM.
Like DanDare liked this post
Thank DanDare thanked this post
Old 6th May 2016, 03:33 PM
*Insert naughty words here*

Another successful landing for Space X.

Old 28th May 2016, 11:31 AM

Fourth successful stage 1 landing.

"We'll be successful when it becomes boring." - Elon Musk

Not boring yet but I wonder how long until I am no longer jumping off my couch and yelling at the screen during these SpaceX webcasts.

Last edited by Wrenn; 28th May 2016 at 11:33 AM.
Like DanDare, loubert liked this post
Old 28th May 2016, 11:45 AM
Being a bigot makes me sick.

Quote:
Wrenn said View Post

Not boring yet but I wonder how long until I am no longer jumping off my couch and yelling at the screen during these SpaceX webcasts.
Missed this one, but I don't care because it's not boring news yet.
Old 28th May 2016, 05:16 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Wrenn said View Post

Nice, and I see in other news the Bigelow inflatable space habitat failed to.......inflate, oh well.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/27/11...forces-bigelow

The experiment is still a success however in that it highlights problems that might be encountered deploying inflatable space habitats, NASA are going to have another go at blowing it up. Hey I wonder, if it develops a leak will the ISS going flying around space like a cartoon blimp?
Old 18th July 2016, 08:32 PM

Another successful stage 1 landing, this time on land. They are going to need a bigger hanger for all the landed rockets!

Looking forward to them reusing one of the landed stages later in the year.

Like DanDare liked this post
Old 27th August 2016, 07:56 PM

Nice to know we are turning the corner from such waste. From disposable razors and lighters and not to mention the stinkiest of the whole lot, disposable nappies/diapers. Reusable rockets make a lot of sense.
Old 15th January 2017, 10:49 AM

It's been a while since the incident last year but SpaceX had a successful return to flight this morning, including their seventh stage 1 landing.

Last year they completed ~10 full duration test burns of the reused stage 1 rocket that according to Elon Musk received "maximum damage" during reentry/landing. Apparently it required almost no refurbishment. Now all we need is a flight with a reused stage. If things go well for them this year we should see a lot of progress on the reusability front including:

- Dragon 2 test flight and powered landing on ground
- Dragon 2 in flight abort test
- First reflight of a landed stage (in a few months?)
- Falcon Heavy launch using a reused stage as one of it's three first stage rockets. This flight should include three stage 1 landings in the one launch!
Old 15th January 2017, 11:16 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
Wrenn said View Post
It's been a while since the incident last year but SpaceX had a successful return to flight this morning, including their seventh stage 1 landing.
It's getting interesting simply because the news article I read didn't even mention the successful stage 1 landing, once something becomes as ordinary as not even worth mentioning you know it's a big thing, any new space project that doesn't use re-usable stages in the future is going to look......medieval
Old 15th January 2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
stevebrooks said View Post
Quote:
Wrenn said View Post
It's getting interesting simply because the news article I read didn't even mention the successful stage 1 landing, once something becomes as ordinary as not even worth mentioning you know it's a big thing, any new space project that doesn't use re-usable stages in the future is going to look......medieval
It's happening even faster than I expected. I noticed during the livestream of the launch this morning that in the timeline for the launch they listed "landing" where previously it was listed as "experimental landing".

Not everyone is as excited as me though, when I mentioned SpaceX landing rockets to my sister her response was Space Who?