Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Family Matters

Family Matters Family Matters... Parenting, partners, the rellies... if it's family, it's here

Old 21st September 2012, 06:23 PM
Explorer of Inner Space
Default Re: Is yoga any good?

Fair enough, Voltairine.
"Instead of being born again why don't you just grow up"

Old 22nd September 2012, 09:44 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

I've done yoga for years. Iyengar style because I had friends who were Iyengar instructors and no other reason.

The sessions were only ever talked through exercises for fifty minutes followed by a relaxation cool down (guided meditation) for ten minutes. I love it. It reduces stress, its a light CV workout, and it makes it easier to focus at others times. Its also an enjoyable process which I don't find with lots of other forms of exercise.
"History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government".
-Thomas Jefferson

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 28th September 2012, 12:18 PM
AFA Member

When I was 17 I did yoga twice a week for about 3 months at the local yoga centre. It was woo central, but on the other hand I actually grew 2cm taller and stayed that way.

Since your in Melbourne you might want to look at http://stillnessmeditation.com.au/ This place seems to do mediation with out the woo.
“The figures looked more or less human. And they were engaged in religion. You could tell by the knives (it's not murder if you do it for a god).”
― Terry Pratchett, Small Gods
Old 2nd October 2012, 12:36 PM

G'day mate. I am still figuring out exactly where I am with atheism, but re your Yoga concern-

I have had anxiety for 10 odd years, which got quite bad 5 years ago till the present. Symptoms include shortness of breath, panic attacks, regular heart palpitations (like.. bad), swollen thyroid at times, bleeding gums. It amazes me how an essentially irrational mental condition can have such an impact on the physical body!

Seven weeks ago I started yoga at a place in Melbourne, out of desperation- I become a father soon, and when I have a (usually) 2 week bout of bad anxiety, I can survive the working day, then I am useless. Which wont work very well once baby is here. I have always been sceptical of yoga.

The improvement in my condition has been remarkable in a short space of time. I am no longer aware of my heart most of the time, my breathing is much better, I'm not spitting blood.

Find the right place. I think that 'yoga' and 'science' can coexist quite happily. Where I go, there has been no talk of crystals, deities or anything that sits wrong with me (so far).

Good luck.
Old 2nd October 2012, 01:06 PM

Hi, campbellshaw.

This is a message sent to all who find their way to these forums.

We like people, and we like facts too!

We're friendly but we're skeptical, and if somebody calls for proof, it's not an accusation. Only the strong ideas thrive here: we try to respect people. (We do not tolerate personal abuse.)

You may already have visited these other handy places:
* New Member Information
* Welcome from AFA president
* For those interested in learning, I recommend the Atheism Resource Thread maintained by Fearless.
* And a quick look at our reserved spot for belief-based discussion, Fantasy Island, includes The Great Big List, a sort-of "things we've seen before" for those of faith, and general rules of argument for the forum.

If you've got questions, please ask. Moderators have red name tags, but many of our friendly people may have the answers you need.

Enjoy the forums. We hope to see plenty from you in discussions.

Have fun.
New Members please read the FAQ | AFA Members please PM for info regarding the Members forum
Old 2nd October 2012, 01:14 PM
Some need an imaginary wingman
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum campbellshaw.

Perhaps you'd like to post an intro in Welcome New Members, so we can all "say g'day"?
*Gods* are not only a legal fiction, but a fiction in every way. Just ask the nearest hippie...
Old 5th December 2012, 05:53 PM
This message has been deleted by wolty. Reason: Spam
Old 14th August 2015, 09:31 AM
AFA Member

I did my own yoga for years without having attended a class for at least 10 years before that. Altogether I've practiced for hundreds and hundreds of hours, perhaps over a thousand, but only attended two classes in the last 20 years or so. It gives a lot more freedom to just do your own
"I'm an ape, I'm an African ape and I'm proud of it, and you should be too". Richard Dawkins
Old 14th August 2015, 10:17 AM
AFA Member

Since old thread came up I will add 2c

It is hard to say if yoga/meditation helped with my stress/anxiety/depression as a sample of 1 is kind of useless. But it is frequently recommended by psychiatrists in my experience and I find an easier form of exercise to commit to than others that I always lost motivation with.

The key (for me) was finding an instructor that doesn't talk about the Woo garbage as that just made me aggravated (not helping to relax), which I did, every now and again he is sick/away and the owner of the center fills in and carries on about energy channels etc.. Normally if I see my instructors car isn't there I drive off and don't go that week, thankfully it isn't too often.

I would do it at home as I have been doing instructed sessions weekly for a year and know plenty of stretches etc, but I lack the motivation to do it at home.

It definitely helps flexibility and core strength.

Last edited by joele; 14th August 2015 at 10:23 AM.
Old 14th August 2015, 06:18 PM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

In relation to Joele's last point (core strength), I'm aware that it's frequently employed by serious/professional athletes.
"Just stick to the idea that science is just about making descriptive models of natural phenomena, whose emergent predictions are tested to destruction" - Woof!
"Science is what we have learned about how to keep from fooling ourselves" - Richard Feynman
Old 14th August 2015, 07:11 PM

Having tried yoga now, and pilates, I still pull muscles. If I were doing it everyday I think there would be somebeenfit, however at such low intensity, and it's conflicts with my other exercise regimes (dancing) I can't justify the time expended
Ever the vanguard against hubristic ignorance