Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Family Matters

Family Matters Family Matters... Parenting, partners, the rellies... if it's family, it's here

Old 11th June 2016, 01:18 AM
Default Re: Worth going down the rabbit hole?

Wants to insert comic strip of atheist dad explaining Rayleigh Scattering, but can't find decent site to link to.

Wants also to say 'you've got one chance, don't blow it' as a caption to said comic strip.
Like Daniel87 liked this post
Old 11th June 2016, 08:35 AM

It is far more important to teach your children how to think than to teach them what to think (and what to believe or disbelieve).

I would rather my own children (7 and 11 years old now) grow up as intelligent, thoughtful believers than have them simply accept atheism because that was what I taught them. I have no preconceptions that I want them to grow up believing or not believing in religion, but I figure that if I've done a good enough job of encouraging critical and rational thinking then they'll turn out to be atheists anyway.

It sounds like you are on the right track. Try not to let this cause drama in your family. Yes, your mother should butt out and stop imposing her beliefs on your children. But remember that she believes that their immortal souls are in danger of eternal damnation if she does not succeed in planting the seeds of faith in their minds. She is doing this because she loves them.
Like Daniel87, DanDare, hackenslash liked this post
Old 15th June 2016, 03:37 PM
AFA Member

Just an update had a discussion with the old lady yesterday. Long story short i asked her alot of questions she gave me a "its about having faith reply" or some longwinded story about how something mundane was a sign from god. I've come to understand that she only thinks about her beliefs in relation to herself. She dosen't understand how an idea with no evidence could be dangerous. She thinks im angry at god (lol). She wants to teach my kids "how to pray correctly" as this is a big part of her system. The best thing to come out of the chat was she agreed to not do that. This conversation started when i asked if she wanted to come to a vigil for the mass shooting with me and she said no but shes being praying for them
Marx was wrong. Religion is not the opiate of the people. Opium suggests something soporific, numbing, dulling. Too often religion has been an aphrodisiac for horror, a Benzedrine for bestiality. At its best it has lifted spirits and raised spires. At its worst it has turned entire civilizations into cemeteries.- Phillip Adams
Like two dogs liked this post