Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 1st September 2017, 08:16 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: Does Aung San Suu Kyi condone genocide?

Urgent action required to stop ongoing genocide.

http://mailchi.mp/fortifyrights/fort...s?e=8b3025a9a8
Old 1st September 2017, 10:02 PM
Cuss-tard

I'd like to put my hand up here to acknowledge something.

I was skeptical about the claims regarding this initially, and whilst I don't think I was necessarily incorrect in being skeptical, I would like to publicly admit that it does in fact appear that ASSK is actually condoning the genocide of the Rohingya people, and we should bend whatever efforts we can toward condemning that and aiding the victims.

@Goldenmane3

Like 142857, Blue Lightning liked this post
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black, wadaye thanked this post
Old 2nd September 2017, 10:24 AM
AFA Member

It's front page on CNN today. I guess a letter to the local MP to get the issue raised in parliament? Pressure needs to be put on Bangladesh to open their border to Rohingya, they seem to be gathering there.

Unfortunately Bangladesh is in the middle of its own flood disaster at the moment.

Hard to know what to do.
Old 6th September 2017, 08:48 AM
AFA Member

In times like these we need to choose whether we stand with the victims or the perpetrators. Aung San Suu Kyi is standing with the perpetrators and encouraging the ongoing rape and killings. Her actions are the same as Julius Streicher of the Nazis and she ought to be charged with incitement to genocide.
Old 6th September 2017, 09:45 AM

I strongly suspect that ASSK is not prepared to risk undoing all that she has achieved for "her" people by opposing the military and their policies regarding the Rohingya.

She is between a rock and a hard place.

Yes, she should speak up and call for international action, genocide is not something to be used as a bargaining chip.
".....If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but...will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones."

- Marcus Aurelius (claimed)
Like wadaye liked this post
Old 13th September 2017, 08:51 PM
It's good to know when it's time

BBC Linky - Rohingya crisis: How much power does Aung San Suu Kyi really have?

Quote:
The huge exodus of Rohingya from Myanmar's Rakhine State, and the brutal tactics of the security forces, have stirred up strong condemnations of the Nobel Laureate and de-facto leader, Aung San Suu Kyi, who has defended her government's actions as a legitimate response to terrorism.

As it emerges Ms Suu Kyi will miss next week's UN General Assembly debate, how much power does she really have inside her country?

Aung San Suu Kyi's formal title is "state counsellor". It is a position she created to get around a clause in the constitution - aimed specifically at her - that bars anyone with a foreign spouse or foreign children from the presidency.

Ms Suu Kyi is by far the most popular political figure in Myanmar and she led her National League for Democracy (NLD) to a landslide victory in the 2015 election. She makes most of the important decisions in her party and cabinet. She also holds the position of foreign minister.

In practice, the actual president, Htin Kyaw, answers to her.

The constitution was drafted by the previous military government, which had been in power in one form or another since 1962. It was approved in a questionable referendum in 2008. At the time, it was not recognised by the NLD or Ms Suu Kyi.

It was the key to the military's declared plan to ensure it still had a guiding role in what it called a "discipline-flourishing democracy". Under it, the armed forces are guaranteed one quarter of the seats in parliament.

The military retains control of three vital ministries - home affairs, defence and border affairs. That means it also controls the police.

Six out of 11 seats on the powerful National Defence and Security Council, which has the power to suspend democratic government, are military appointees.

Former military personnel occupy many top civil positions. The military also still has significant business interests. Defence spending is still 14% of the budget, more than health and education combined.
More@Sauce

There's a meaning there, but the meaning there doesn't really mean a thing.
Come and see the real thing, come and see the real thing, come and see the real thing,
Come and see...

Old 13th September 2017, 11:59 PM
AFA Member

We should not waste our breath repeating her name except in exposing that she propagates anti-Rohingya hate speech.

Otherwise the Rohingya have far more immediate and pressing concerns in the ongoing genocidal slaughter
Old 14th September 2017, 07:19 AM

@Wadaye: It helps one understand, to know the setup under which this is happening.

Knowledge, unlike opinion, is never a waste.

Come and see the real thing, come and see the real thing, come and see the real thing,
Come and see...

Like Blue Lightning liked this post
Old 14th September 2017, 09:01 PM
AFA Member

Every genocidal regime has its own power structures. We should not quibble as to the precise rank and role of each member. Such questions are better addressed by interational criminal tribunals.
The reality is that there is a propaganda war with many lies told by the regime to cover mass extermination in village after village. Then they blame the victims for arson. Remember that in the same way the Germans claimed t had attack on Poland was in self defence.

Last edited by wadaye; 14th September 2017 at 09:02 PM.
Old 14th September 2017, 09:09 PM

@Wadaye: This "shoulding" gets a bit tiresome: that's twice in a row.

I'll approach the matter as I see fit, thanks.

Come and see...