Go Back   AFA Forums > Religion, Unreason and Similar Tropes > Conspiracy theories

Conspiracy theories Got something to say about the Illuminati/One World Govt, chemtrails or faked moon landings? Find these, and more, here.

Old 7th May 2017, 06:50 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: Flat Earth

Round the whole lot up, and take them to the coast. Tie them up to chairs. Have boats/ships sail towards and away from them. Keep asking them what they see. Ships will first appear on the horizon with their upper parts visible, then the hull. When sailing away, hull disappears first, then the funnels or sails.

If they still deny it, feed them anti-psychotics. If that does work, fucking shoot them, and bury them at sea, but only over the horizon. Their rotting, crab-eaten corpses can admire the flat seabed onto eternity.
Old 7th May 2017, 07:25 PM
AFA Member

A bit harsh perhaps DB because generally the flat earthers are so manifestly ridiculous they dont cause too many problems. I mean, it's not as though we have flat earth suicide bombers on the loose. Also, when someone declares themselves to be a flat earth believer, they utterly surrender the entirety of their credibility.

Actually, I'm very much hoping the good folk at flatearth.org get into the ear of the orange idiot in Washington.
Laugh at Strato laughed at this post
Old 8th May 2017, 03:55 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
A bit harsh perhaps DB because generally the flat earthers are so manifestly ridiculous they dont cause too many problems. I mean, it's not as though we have flat earth suicide bombers on the loose. Also, when someone declares themselves to be a flat earth believer, they utterly surrender the entirety of their credibility.

Actually, I'm very much hoping the good folk at flatearth.org get into the ear of the orange idiot in Washington.
Anies Baswedan's credibility seems OK as far as his electorate is concerned.

OK, I was joking of course- [turning "Flaties" into crab feed], but I don't think there is any such thing as a "harmless belief". While I agree with you that we don't see many "Flatland Jihadists", people generally believe what they are told. A sad state of affairs to be sure, which may persist for some time, unless critical thinking become the new meme, the standard discourse.

Until then, nonsense of every flavour: religious, ideological or whatever, become social truths. And as we know, humans tend to bias towards social data, mostly uncritically, and even in defiance of personal evidence.

This tends to make society mentally ill to some degree. Addiction to ideas that are born free of evidence and reason leads to poor, often dangerous public policy. Such behaviour creates unfortunate habits of mind.

Thus in some ways, such minds lose the ability to reason, the ability to respect and value evidence. In other words, a misprogramming of a heuristic wet computer. Falsehoods dear to the heart become not-negotiable items, fire-walled from reason and evidence.

People dismiss this because the phenomenon is not universal. A priest can still balance a chequebook, a religious scientist can still do good science, sometimes excellent science. [Science of course, doesn't require belief, and is essentially agnostic about reality]. So long as procedures and methods are followed [and individual] or at least group intellectual honesty is maintained, science will work.

Despite all that, I still believe false beliefs, no matter what their form, are an absolute danger to society, and individuals, even if we can't pin them all down into clear and immediate harms, like religion-crazed jihadists.

How to demonstrate what I have said is true is highly problematic however. Too many objections, too many possible counter-factuals. I think it is plausible because I hope like hell I am wrong. The consequences of me being right are too depressing. I want to be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Governments are being saturated with the terminally deluded. It can only end badly, I fear. Too many Kim Jong-uns, Trumps etc. It is all a symptom of institutionalised delusion.
Old 9th May 2017, 08:31 PM
The Rickest Rick

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
Despite all that, I still believe false beliefs, no matter what their form, are an absolute danger to society, and individuals, even if we can't pin them all down into clear and immediate harms, like religion-crazed jihadists.
Agreed. In the case of Flat Earthers, it isn't the belief that's dangerous but the mechanism used to keep the belief. They actively look for confirmation bias, they actively disregard scientific achievements - that is dangerous.
[odd]The immenseness of the universe - and Jesus sitting on the outside worried whether a species, that happens to be alive during a blip on the timeline of existence, is masterbating or not. Priceless.
[Goldenmane]To put it another way: I can be charitable without dogma, and if you preach at me as a condition for accepting your help, then you can fuck off.

Theists! Don't forget to read the Great Big List before posting.
Goldenmane’s Third Rule of Public Discourse
Goldenmane's Exposition On Rule Fucking Three
Like The Irreverent Mr Black, Strato liked this post
Old 10th May 2017, 11:44 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
rayne said View Post
Agreed. In the case of Flat Earthers, it isn't the belief that's dangerous but the mechanism used to keep the belief. They actively look for confirmation bias, they actively disregard scientific achievements - that is dangerous.
Yes, that was what I was trying to say rayne, you interpreted my puppy speak and made some sense out of it. With knowledge, how well you travel, is at least as important, as the destination.

That is why I think there are no "harmless" beliefs.
Old 11th May 2017, 04:21 PM
AFA Member

I think this puts the whole argument to bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11th May 2017, 04:44 PM
You get what everyone gets....you get a lifetime

Teehee

My favourite cat funny

Like Mjt, loubert liked this post
Thank Darwinsbulldog thanked this post
Laugh at DanDare, knowledge is power, Strato laughed at this post
Old 20th September 2017, 08:08 PM
Enough words.

From MSN news-

Conspiracy theorist takes spirit level on a plane and says it proves the Earth is flat

'A conspiracy theorist says he has proved the earth is flat after taking a spirit level onto a plane.
American Flat-Earther D Marble, who describes himself as a "realist", was confident that a pilot would have to dip the nose of an aeroplane to compensate for the curvature of the Earth if the world was really a sphere.'

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/techan...YrC&ocid=wispr

The bible says, "A simple man believes every word he hears, a clever man understands the need for proof." Proverbs 14:15 LOL.
Laugh at bruce1937, Strato, DanDare laughed at this post
Old 20th September 2017, 08:11 PM
Enough words.

Quote:
Loki said View Post
Teehee

My favourite cat funny

Somebody give this cat a mini soccer ball!

The bible says, "A simple man believes every word he hears, a clever man understands the need for proof." Proverbs 14:15 LOL.