Go Back   AFA Forums > Religion, Unreason and Similar Tropes > Anti-equality

Anti-equality Think all feminism has 'just gone too far', or doubt why gay people would want the right to marry? Here's your place.

Old 14th November 2016, 11:17 PM

Default Re: Smarf's Safe Schools *Echo-Chamber*

Quote:
Smarf said View Post
Just Necroing the thread (second time I see) to thank the Atheist community for showing me the light, as it were. It was the AFA's Richard Dawkins talk years ago and other interactions since, that revealed what this community was metastasising into which was a catalyst for me in researching the goals and methods of what I now recognise as the regressive left. Through many, many books, talks, and forum discussions on this and other ancillary subjects over that time, I am now much better politically and economically informed than I would of been otherwise. Thanks!
That passive-aggression is marvelous, truly of an excellent quality. Well done you.

Quote:
Smarf said View Post
I'm an atheist only because the concept of God/s are wrong based on what's rational. What I hadn't realised is that the atheism of the Left is not animated by this same rationality, but by agenda.
Which is quite amusing when you assume that atheism has any form of political position.

Is it atheism you don't understand, or is it politics?

Incidentally, I am pretty far left of the standard left/right political paradigm, but I also strangely hold the position that God, at least the one with the capital G and all the other ones with capital letters and names, are most likely make-believe on rational grounds.

Does that then make me a rightist?

If not, wouldn't that then be a mortal blow to your conjecture?

Quote:
Smarf said View Post
Put in simple leftist terms, religion is just an obstacle that attaches the masses to the State, and is just part of a list that includes custom, tradition, family, national allegiance, gender roles and other essential societal glue. Lacking this glue, the left sees society reforming into a borderless global commune divided instead only by class or, more succinctly, into the 'Oppressed' and 'Oppressors'. From there the glorious revolution follows, but like clockwork it descends into societal regress, gulags, lies upon lies and queues for potatoes. As always, it'll work for sure next time...
Personally, I'm too lazy for revolutions - been stuck in far too many of them, and they are rather bothersome.

However, while some of these ideas seem either nice or even accurate, I am not sure what they have to do with atheism.

Quote:
Smarf said View Post
It's pretty obvious that Origin of Species, Richard Dawkins and other popular atheist or even epistemology aren't centre stage around here as a casual perusal through forum posts written by the small, but noticeably prolific cadre of regular posters reveals.
Should they be? Why would atheists need to have a centre stage of evolutionary biologists?

Not sure what the supposition there is meant to be.

Of course, you will find a number of people here intimately familiar with evolutionary biology - some of us even have degrees in it or related fields.

However, it seems - and I may be wrong - that you think that atheism needs some kind of moral leader, a guiding entity, an authority figure to look up to and revere.

For me, while I enjoy Dawkins' Selfish Gene, Extended Phenotype, and Ancestor's Tale - I find the man rather shrill and annoying. Is that leftist of me? Or is it some other construct you want to foist off collectively?

Quote:
Smarf said View Post
Topics instead range from Marxist attitudes towards society as listed above, leftist identity politics, actual quotes from Mao's red book, Stalinist era propaganda images as fucking avatars for Christ sake, anti-border rhetoric, political correctness "gone mad", Orwellian newspeak, hate speech as speech you hate style censorship and a constant state of offence balanced on a hair trigger.
Fuck me sideways with a live sea bass - why have I never seen any of these posts? They sound intriguing!

Cmon guys! Have you commies been hiding these posts from me? Remember - your Mao-loving ideology necessitates that you share!

Incidentally, Smarf - I take it you don't look at the science fora much.

Quote:
Smarf said View Post
Anyway, I bring all this up at a time of celebration as we transition to a new reality made great again courtesy of the US elections and it's rejection of the lefts agenda of censorship, totalitarianism and fragmentation of the western hemisphere. The lefts infiltration and subversion of atheism in particular has pushed me right into Trumps corner, which is incomprehensible even to me! Right now he seems to be assembling a team with a mission that would of been terrifying to me years ago, but having now realised that no dogma is more destructive than the dogma of the left, I'm giddy with schadenfreude joy. It's going to be a great 4-8 years+.
Seems about as cogent as the rest of the tripe you've written.

I'm so very happy to know that this is yet another example of a terminally irrational and illogical being supporting Trump because they hate X, Y, or Z. It makes it clear who got the message and who's mired in tribalistic self-pleasuring.

Now, bully for you - you realized there are no gods! Now I wonder if you can wake up to the other silly little psychological urges of the irrational mind.
Like loubert, DanDare liked this post
Old 15th November 2016, 12:20 AM
What Me Deluded?

Quote:
Smarf said View Post
Through many, many books, talks, and forum discussions on this and other ancillary subjects over that time, I am now much better politically and economically informed than I would of been otherwise. Thanks!

... that would of been terrifying to me
Don't mean to be pedantic or anything, Smarf, but it's have.

Your remonstrance sounds like the putative deep reading leading to your enlightenment was done with a set design toward mere confirmation bias. An angry man and loving it.

Have you any loyal followers who will die with you as martyrs in the Reclaim Australia trench?
Like Spearthrower, two dogs, wadaye liked this post
Old 15th November 2016, 02:46 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Smarf said View Post
Just Necroing the thread (second time I see) to thank the Atheist community for showing me the light, as it were. It was the AFA's Richard Dawkins talk years ago and other interactions since, that revealed what this community was metastasising into which was a catalyst for me in researching the goals and methods of what I now recognise as the regressive left. Through many, many books, talks, and forum discussions on this and other ancillary subjects over that time, I am now much better politically and economically informed than I would of been otherwise. Thanks!

I'm an atheist only because the concept of God/s are wrong based on what's rational. What I hadn't realised is that the atheism of the Left is not animated by this same rationality, but by agenda. Put in simple leftist terms, religion is just an obstacle that attaches the masses to the State, and is just part of a list that includes custom, tradition, family, national allegiance, gender roles and other essential societal glue. Lacking this glue, the left sees society reforming into a borderless global commune divided instead only by class or, more succinctly, into the 'Oppressed' and 'Oppressors'. From there the glorious revolution follows, but like clockwork it descends into societal regress, gulags, lies upon lies and queues for potatoes. As always, it'll work for sure next time...

It's pretty obvious that Origin of Species, Richard Dawkins and other popular atheist or even epistemology aren't centre stage around here as a casual perusal through forum posts written by the small, but noticeably prolific cadre of regular posters reveals. Topics instead range from Marxist attitudes towards society as listed above, leftist identity politics, actual quotes from Mao's red book, Stalinist era propaganda images as fucking avatars for Christ sake, anti-border rhetoric, political correctness "gone mad", Orwellian newspeak, hate speech as speech you hate style censorship and a constant state of offence balanced on a hair trigger.

Anyway, I bring all this up at a time of celebration as we transition to a new reality made great again courtesy of the US elections and it's rejection of the lefts agenda of censorship, totalitarianism and fragmentation of the western hemisphere. The lefts infiltration and subversion of atheism in particular has pushed me right into Trumps corner, which is incomprehensible even to me! Right now he seems to be assembling a team with a mission that would of been terrifying to me years ago, but having now realised that no dogma is more destructive than the dogma of the left, I'm giddy with schadenfreude joy. It's going to be a great 4-8 years+.

Ps I guess I should write something relevant to this original Safe Schools topic: Old news but I called it, I present the safe schools architect in all her (his?) glory compete with her driving agenda and downfall: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...30a625780f2832
Although my political views have definitely moved to the left over the last few years I cannot say I am familiar with any communist ideology and think of myself as a pragmatic centrist.

To my knowledge there is many different political view points here and that is to be expected because atheism is only the position on existence of god. There is no political agenda and trying to subscribe one to it shows you either do not understand what atheism is, or you are being disingenuous.

I am glad you feel like you have firmed up your anti-left wing narrative in your head, but my experience with the AFA does not match anything of what you are saying. Discussion here is robust and is almost always centred around providing proof of one assertions. It can go quite bad for those that don't and I can see from your post above, with several claims that seem to be bordering on conspiracy theory paranoia, why you may not feel comfortable here.

As for Trump, I cannot support him, even if you overlook his race baiting and misogynistic conduct he and his allies, particularly Pence, have expressed desires to impinge on the secular foundation of the US political and education system. Of course you likely have other motivations, but as a non believer it is a worrying scenario.
Like two dogs, DanDare liked this post
Old 15th November 2016, 04:07 PM
AFA Member

When considering a political or ideological position, there are several ways one can go, but not all solutions were created equal. Human instinct or "gut-feeling" is the most unreliable. Nor is faith, be it religious or ideological.

It is a shame that many humans that have fairly good senses and a a working brain proceed to make important decisions about their future government based emotion, feeling or "gut".

To even have a hope of making a reasonably good decision one surely needs to use logic and evidence.

It terms of presidential candidates therefore, Trump should lose by default. His "message" was : "HATE, HATE HATE, HATE AND MORE HATE". If that were not enough, he thinks [and acts] as if women are pieces of meat to be consumed and spat out.

I wouldn't put him in charge of emptying garbage, never mind running a powerful country or access to most of the world's nuclear weapons. Not that the democrat campaign was stellar, and both sides of politics have tended to ignore certain groups, partly because the problems of globalization are very hard to fix without hundreds of nations cooperating 100%. So inequalities of wealth, income and opportunity cannot be addressed adequately without said international will to do so.

So there are no easy answers, but Trump supplied vile "pseudo-answers" by making scapegoats of minorities. Nasty, but it worked, because most voters have been habituated to think with their guts rather than their brains.

Religion and money are a particularly toxic combination. Religious nut-jobs will now be deciding public policy on any number of vital topics: education, medical welfare, defense and foreign relations, human rights, science, law and so on. America is not going to become great, unless one thinks a return to the Dark Ages is great.

So we have Trump, the nasty trolling candidate, now pretending to be Trump the "statesman".
Old 15th November 2016, 06:36 PM
Omu'sata

Anyone who calls any forum an "echo-chamber" is, in my opinion, just pissed off that members of that forum are good at dismantling bullshit. Just because several members manage to arrive at the same conclusion by examining evidence does not make it an "echo-chamber".

It means there is consensus agreement on certain things after healthy discussion.

And if anyone thinks this place is one where informed opinions are unanimous, they haven't been paying attention.
Thank two dogs, DanDare thanked this post
Old 15th November 2016, 11:11 PM
Wonder if the beer tastes as good?
Super Moderator

Quote:
Smarf said View Post

I'm an atheist only because the concept of God/s are wrong based on what's rational. What I hadn't realised is that the atheism of the Left is not animated by this same rationality, but by agenda. Put in simple leftist terms, religion is just an obstacle that attaches the masses to the State, and is just part of a list that includes custom, tradition, family, national allegiance, gender roles and other essential societal glue. Lacking this glue, the left sees society reforming into a borderless global commune divided instead only by class or, more succinctly, into the 'Oppressed' and 'Oppressors'. From there the glorious revolution follows, but like clockwork it descends into societal regress, gulags, lies upon lies and queues for potatoes. As always, it'll work for sure next time...

It's pretty obvious that Origin of Species, Richard Dawkins and other popular atheist or even epistemology aren't centre stage around here as a casual perusal through forum posts written by the small, but noticeably prolific cadre of regular posters reveals. Topics instead range from Marxist attitudes towards society as listed above, leftist identity politics, actual quotes from Mao's red book, Stalinist era propaganda images as fucking avatars for Christ sake, anti-border rhetoric, political correctness "gone mad", Orwellian newspeak, hate speech as speech you hate style censorship and a constant state of offence balanced on a hair trigger.

Ps I guess I should write something relevant to this original Safe Schools topic: Old news but I called it, I present the safe schools architect in all her (his?) glory compete with her driving agenda and downfall: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...30a625780f2832
Yawn. Yep, there's definitely a reason why you're ornage here...