Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Family Matters

Family Matters Family Matters... Parenting, partners, the rellies... if it's family, it's here

Old 28th February 2017, 06:10 PM
Take my advice, don't listen to me

Default Re: Huff Post OP on SRE in NSW schools

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
Indeed Bruce, they should not get a cent from the public purse. However, I don't think there is enough political will to make that happen, at least not yet.
there is also not enough capacity in the public system. so we can't just turn off the tap. it needs to be preceded by a build up of capacity
Old 28th February 2017, 06:19 PM
Take my advice, don't listen to me

Default Re: Huff Post OP on SRE in NSW schools

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
I was just worrying about a possible reaction. Suppose this progresses as we hope and State schools actually become as secular as they are supposed to be. How will this impact on the decisions of religious parents to send their children to State schools that grow more secular?
A fair number of religious schools till teach science and a diverse curriculum, but what about those that don't? What about Muslim parents who want their children to pray five times a day? And I can't imagine many religious folks of many denominations and faiths would object to the continuation of school prayers and religious "instruction' in State schools?

How will we react if/when religious parents start pulling their kids out of State schools and packing them off to religious schools, some of them radical?

Just sayin'
I am not certain but I think the risk is small. really religious parents will send their kids to religious schools anyway. if they cannot afford to do so now, they won't once SRE is gone either. I don't think there are many religious parents for whom SRE is what makes a public school equivalent to a religious one.