Go Back   AFA Forums > AFA > AFA Media Releases & Announcements

AFA Media Releases & Announcements Feel free to comment on issues the AFA is involved with.

Old 14th August 2012, 09:39 PM
AFA Life Member

Default Media Release - Pandering to Stupidity

Prime Minister Julia Gillard is to be the keynote speaker at the National Conference of the Australian Christian Lobby (ACL), representing all Australians, including the Australian Labor Party.

The ACL is an organisation consisting of ultra-conservative Christians, whose views are unlikely to be accepted by a majority of the population, whether religious or non-religious. Mainstream Christian Faiths have distanced themselves from this organisation, claiming they are not representative of their churches.

The Atheist Foundation of Australia has previously asked the Labor Party under Kevin Rudd, as well as Julia Gillard, to open the Global Atheist Conventions in Melbourne in 2010 and 2012. But the offers were declined in both instances. This was despite the fact that Atheists represent between 30% and 50% of the population.

It is deplorable that the Labor Party should be pandering to any religion at all, especially to such an anachronistic and fundamentalist branch of Christianity, one that has no relevance in a modern and enlightened society.

Julia Gillard has failed as a politician and an atheist, and her kowtowing to a religious minority whose aim it is to create a Christian theocracy, is a downright disgrace.

The Atheist Foundation of Australia condemns this short-sightedness and hypocrisy.

Media Contact:
David Nicholls
President
Atheist Foundation of Australia Inc
Private Mail Bag 6
MAITLAND SA 5573

Phone: (08) 8835 2269

Email: info@atheistfoundation.org.au

http://www.atheistfoundation.org.au/...ring-stupidity

Last edited by Lee; 14th August 2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 14th August 2012, 09:48 PM

Default Re: Media Release - Pandering to Stupidity

Quote:
Prime Minister Julia Gillard is to be the keynote speaker at the National Conference of the Australian Christian Lobby (ACL), representing all Australians, including the Australian Labor Party.
Oh FFS!

http://www.acl.org.au/2012/08/acl-na...nference-2012/
Quote:
This year’s theme is Building a Nation of Character: Religious Freedom in a Secular Democracy.
Sounds good. Perhaps Gillard's speech should be on Freedom From Religion
Stangely, I don't see any Muslim speakers, or Jewish speakers, or Hindi speakers, or...

By the title, are they now admitting we actually live in a secular democracy, and are no longer a "christian nation"?

Dave.

Last edited by FSM; 14th August 2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old 14th August 2012, 10:06 PM
Explorer of Inner Space

An excellent media release from the AFA and we can only hope that it gets utilised by the media. We need to highlight the hypocrasy of our supposedly 'atheist' prime minister.

I hate to be picky but there is a small typo in the word kowtowing, although I presume it may be too late to correct if it has already been released.

Ooops: on further checking I have discovered that kotowing is an accepted alternative spelling. My apologies.

Last edited by BlueDevil; 14th August 2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 14th August 2012, 10:21 PM
AFA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevil View Post

I hate to be picky but there is a small typo in the word kowtowing, although I presume it may be too late to correct if it has already been released.
Damn. I'll fix it on the homepage and here too.
Never be afraid to tell us our mistakes BD.

Old 14th August 2012, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
What kind of people do you think inhabit this forum?

Dave.
Old 14th August 2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Damn. I'll fix it on the homepage and here too.
Actually both are acceptable
Old 14th August 2012, 11:07 PM
Science Moderator

With "friends" like Julia, who needs anemones??

Old 15th August 2012, 12:17 AM
It's how I feel.

Question Re: Media Release - Pandering to Stupidity

Whilst I generally support and appreciate the purpose of this release, I'm wondering if we aren't sticking our necks out a little on this one.

There's at least two claims made that I'm unsure about..

Quote:
This was despite the fact that Atheists represent between 30% and 50% of the population.
..and..

Quote:
Julia Gillard has failed as a politician and an atheist..
Personally, I'm unaware if the claim of "30-50% of the population" can be adequately supported, but I'm not a scholar on the subject of Australian statistics. Please forgive my ignorance.

Additionally, how does one "fail" at being an atheist ? It seems to imply there's something more to atheism than the religious beliefs, or more accurately, the lack thereof, held by an individual. Perhaps it's something measurable, as may perceivably be the case with the "failure" of a politician. Is an atheist activist "more of an atheist" than one who remains closeted and secretive 'til death, for example ? Is the secretive atheist considered a "failure" ? There's seems to be some benchmark here against which one may be measured, where I'm not sure one really exists... or maybe it just eludes me. I understand that the AFA has a particular definition for atheism, and as such, the approach taken may be one predominantly designed to express more than simple concern about the religious beliefs of our Prime Minister, and yet be somewhat guarded against possible consequences (legal ramifications).

The title of the release may also not win favour with onlookers, with such a clear implication that we consider those in this group in question (the ACL) to be "stupid".

Having said all that, I'm also aware that I'm not privvy to the specific reasoning behind the methodology for such releases.

Gary

John Sessions: Arrogance?
--== QI (Quite Interesting): Season 3 - Episode 4 ==--

Last edited by Mentally Saturated; 15th August 2012 at 12:31 AM.
Old 15th August 2012, 06:47 AM

Has Gillard ever categorically stated that she's an atheist, or just that she doesn't follow any religion? I'm wondering whether, true to her political nature, her attitude is one of indifference more than a thought out stance. Of course, who has ever heard of a politician vacillating on the sidelines?
Old 15th August 2012, 06:52 AM
Explorer of Inner Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentally Saturated View Post

Personally, I'm unaware if the claim of "30-50% of the population" can be adequately supported, but I'm not a scholar on the subject of Australian statistics. Please forgive my ignorance.
Due to the flawed nature of the ABS census question it is quite likely that there are far more atheists in Australia than the census figures would indicate. There have been a number of surveys (including church sponsored ones) that indicate higher levels of atheism than the census figures. In particular though this recent survey indicates that only 37% of Australian identify themselves as religious.