Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Coming Out Stories

Coming Out Stories Share the story of your path to Atheism.

Old 15th April 2015, 07:15 PM
I am no feeble Christ, not me.

Default Re: Finally taking some steps

There's evidence that the Catholic Church uses dodgy numbers, by counting as supporters people who were baptised as babies but have not had any connection with the church in their adult life. Of course those numbers have no validity, but for some people the very thought is galling.

Quote:
Ces said View Post
You didn't have to send the Tooth Fairy a letter to tell her not to call any more.
Old 15th April 2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
stylofone said View Post
There's evidence that the Catholic Church uses dodgy numbers, by counting as supporters people who were baptised as babies but have not had any connection with the church in their adult life. Of course those numbers have no validity, but for some people the very thought is galling.

Of course that is true, I did not mean to suggest otherwise. If you are one of those people I am very sorry, but I don't think the OP should resign just to pull the numbers down. It is a decision that appears to affect no-one but them and so I think they should act in their own best interests.

If someone told me I should resign from a fake society that I was signed up to without my consent because it was dishonest or dishonourable to do otherwise well, I don't think I would bother even if all I had to do was to send a text.
Old 15th April 2015, 09:18 PM

Yes, I think you have the right attitude, and that's pretty much been my position with regards to Catholicism.

Quote:
Ces said View Post
If someone told me I should resign from a fake society that I was signed up to without my consent because it was dishonest or dishonourable to do otherwise well, I don't think I would bother even if all I had to do was to send a text.
Old 16th April 2015, 06:49 AM

I wish that I could openly speak my mind @ home.
Old 25th April 2015, 08:37 AM

I'm still registered as having been baptised in my home church. My view is that it was a part of my very early life, my parents and community meant well when they observed the ceremony. It was, not least and imo more important, a passage in my parents' life, a young couple presenting their first child to the community and being offered approval and support by that community.

So I'm content to leave it as it is. YM, of course, MV.
Old 25th April 2015, 09:40 PM

I was unaware that you could de-register. I will be asking my parents firsy thing tomorrow where I was baptised. And I don't feel any guilt whatsoever. Has been 5 years since I saw the light.
Old 29th April 2015, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Chiropterous hominid said View Post
I wish that I could openly speak my mind @ home.
I wish you could, too. It is a wonderful feeling when we can tell our families exactly what we think and know that they will love and accept us regardless of their own opinions. It is something I am struggling with as my eldest child develops political opinions which diverge from my own, if you would permit the analogy.

I have a surviving parent and an in-law who often express racist ideas, to the distress of the other generations present. I know to challenge them is futile to the nth - I could never change their mind and the corresponding argument would be damaging to anyone in earshot. So, I suck it up.
Old 30th April 2015, 09:15 PM
What Me Deluded?

I was talking with my rather elderly mum on the phone today. She is in an aged care facility. She wants to die and I think now should be granted her wish. Conservative Australia. Not good.

She agreed Australia is wonderful and free and I said yes but homosexual people can't marry. She said they have a disease, which of course is the Church line. I explained determinism and she said yes, someone might have red hair they hate and they can't help that.' That'll do. But I said they should be absolutely happy being themselves. 'Yes.'

Religion .

But I said, 'good on ya mum,' for trying at her age . She would have got it right, when she was doing her best thinking, before Christianity appropriated her naturally accommodating, caring personality.

The wider contemporary world is waking from its dogmatic slumber, though painfully.
Old 1st May 2015, 08:41 AM

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Over the decades my parents went from moderate cultural christianity to non-practising, vague unbelief. My father's funeral was non-religious, with a single token mention of "father son and holy spirit" at the graveside, to give the oldies something to cling to. It was very mild. His siblings seemed to like it, but the funeral rites were arranged by my brother. We didn't discuss it with them.

My maternal grandmother surprised us somewhat in her later years by confiding, in that marvelously mischievous senior citizen way, that she had come the the conclusion that the religion she'd blandly observed all her life was a load of rubbish. Three generations moving away from religion in the second half of the 20th century.

The supposed phenomenon of deathbed conversions by lifelong atheists, who "see the light" when they are confronted with imminent death is not evident in my experience.

Quote:
Strato said View Post
I was talking with my rather elderly mum on the phone today. She is in an aged care facility. She wants to die and I think now should be granted her wish. Conservative Australia. Not good.