Go Back   AFA Forums > Welcome > Coming Out Stories

Coming Out Stories Share the story of your path to Atheism.

Old 7th June 2017, 03:01 PM

Default Coming Out - My Mother went from calling me a heathen to seeing my point of view

Hello all!

When I was 10 years old, on Sunday March 17, 1974, my mother decided that her children would go to church...in the tradition in which she was raised. My father really didn't give a shit about any of this as he always referred to God as "the man upstairs" and upon later inspection, I realized he was a Deist...in that he felt there may be some creator, but one who really didn't are one whit about humanity.

So, my mother dutifully put new Bibles in our hands and took us to the local Baptist church. I had no idea at the time about the odyssey on which I was being sent. I was always a skeptical person, and a lot of the things being pushed at that church just made no sense to me. And, whenever I voiced my concerns, I was labeled a "heathen" and sent upstairs to sit with my mother in the adult church, so my questions wouldn't spoil the Sunday School for children. My mother would sigh with disapproval each time I was unceremoniously dropped off to her.

On the ride home, I would tell her that all I did was ask a question about this God of the Bible that just didn't make sense to me...and she would frown and ask me why I couldn't just listen and try to understand it. I told her that's exactly what I was doing. She would just frown and clam up.

I read the Bible many times through, and with each reading became convinced that this monster Yahweh was no more real than Zeus or Thor. By the time I was 16 I knew I could not believe the Bible, in any part.

Now, fast forward some 40 years, and after a lot of discussion, my mother agrees with me that there is no compelling evidence for the God of her upbringing, and while she still tries to cling to the notion of an afterlife, she is for all intents and purposes an agnostic atheist...but she would shudder with revulsion to wear that label...but that's what she is.

My two younger sisters, devout Christers, would be extremely pissed at me for my inadvertent conversion of our mother, but I won't tell if you don't...LOL!
Old 7th June 2017, 03:28 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: Coming Out - My Mother went from calling me a heathen to seeing my point of view

My mother also has hang-ups over the afterlife issue. She has not been in a church for 30 years or more, but still labels herself as an Anglican on the census. When I asked her why she chooses to identify as such she says it is 'because I don't want to be in an afterlife without seeing you all again'. Of course I point out to her that under most interpretations of the christian faith that I, as an atheist, wouldn't be seeing her anyway. I guess religious people just have to get use to living with contradictions.
Like Strato liked this post
Old 7th June 2017, 03:28 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: Coming Out - My Mother went from calling me a heathen to seeing my point of view

Asking questions is a big NO NO
Old 11th June 2017, 07:52 PM
What Me Deluded?

My father feigned conversion to keep my mother happy because he knew he hadn't long to go. He appreciated she would agonise over his eternal fate and that she couldn't have him in heaven no matter how hard she leant on God's mercy. The scriptures say, after all, uncompromisingly, and she had to submit to God's righteous terms,

King James Bible
'That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.'

After my mother jubilantly informed me, I got him aside and said, "what's going on dad?"

He said, "I only said that to keep your mother happy."

Nothing to lose by it.
Old 15th June 2017, 07:40 PM

I was dragged to catholic church for ten years and an evangelical one for another eight. My mother still tells me that she is 'right' and she 'knows it' and that all other religions are the wrong ones. There's absolutely no convincing her otherwise. A couple of days ago she told me that she must answer for the burden of my soul to her maker. I simply said that I could not advise her on how to square with that and that she would have to accept that I don't see things her way.

It was a much better conversation than a few months back that ended with the expected storm out of the room immediately after the pointed finger and the promise that I will kneel before god on judgement day. She didn't like it when I said that I'd be making god kneel before me, especially since he has a lot to answer for!
Old 15th June 2017, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Strato said View Post
My father feigned conversion to keep my mother happy because he knew he hadn't long to go. He appreciated she would agonise over his eternal fate and that she couldn't have him in heaven no matter how hard she leant on God's mercy. The scriptures say, after all, uncompromisingly, and she had to submit to God's righteous terms,

King James Bible
'That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.'

After my mother jubilantly informed me, I got him aside and said, "what's going on dad?"

He said, "I only said that to keep your mother happy."

Nothing to lose by it.
I strongly suspect that David Bowie feigned conversion towards the end of his life as well. For much the same reason.
Old 16th June 2017, 10:24 PM
What Me Deluded?

Well that's interesting 142857, though I appreciate it may be a task to provide evidence for the conjecture.

Happily I'll never need to pretend because loved ones can't handle the truth.