Go Back   AFA Forums > Atheism > Debate Forum

Debate Forum The AFA Debate forum. Set up your debate or join the peanut gallery in here.

Old 12th April 2017, 02:37 AM

Default Re: Should the ABC Religion and Ethics website be closed?

I read the op-ed in the link with interest, and mounting pity: those poor religious broadcasters, so
convinced of the virtues of communicating the wonders of faith, forlornly confronted by fact of their increasing irrelevance. Many must be asking themselves, "Why do I even bother?"

The tone of the piece seemed to imply that religion and, therefore, religious broadcasting was necessary. As one of the comments below the rambling blurb said: "Why? How?" For such a straightforward comment to accrue a considerable number of up-votes suggests (to me anyway) that many people are dumbfounded by religion in secular soceties that have shaken off many of the religious imperatives that were taken for granted only a generation ago. Why do we (society) need religious broadcasting? How is religious broadcasting necessary? What even is the point of religion? That these kinds of questions are being openly asked is a very positive sign imo.