Go Back   AFA Forums > Religion, Unreason and Similar Tropes > Pseudoscience and anti-science

Pseudoscience and anti-science Debunking Creationism, Homoeopathy etc

Old 11th December 2017, 08:39 PM
An old banger, but almost unstoppable.

Default Re: anti-vaxxers...again

Quote:
Goldenmane said View Post
Quote:
stylofone said View Post
Quote:
Strato said View Post
I personally recall seeing the horrific effects of polio in the 50s when I was a kid.
I was at uni with a man who said he was the last person in Australia to get polio before vaccinations ended the disease (if I recall correctly, subsequent cases in Australia have been contracted overseas). His arms and legs were affected, he had to have modifications to his car to be able to drive, he also suffered from fatigue and pain as a result. Yes, this was someone I knew personally, we shared a house for a time. Strato has similar experiences. It's not some conspiracy website.

I equate the anti-vax position with a kind of deranged sadism to wish such things upon people.
When I were a lad, my best mate's mum had legs that were fucked by polio. And she was one of the lucky ones.
My father-in-law, a veritable superman among doers of good to other, had polio, and now is troubled by post-polio syndrome.

He's had a life of adversity, despite his resilience.

Release the Socratic Questions!

Thank Goldenmane, Strato thanked this post
Old 11th December 2017, 08:51 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
When I were a lad, my best mate's mum had legs that were fucked by polio. And she was one of the lucky ones.
When dad was doing a tour of duty in Scotland, as Royal Air Force brat I was dumped in the local school.

I befriended a lad whose limbs were damaged by polio. In part because we were both outcasts. He also had a working brain and was an interesting fellow with a good sense of humour.

I got into some fights, partly because they pissed me off, and partly because of the bigotry towards someone affected by polio. Well, it was working class Scotland, near Glasgow, and kids were ignorant, usually though no fault of their own.

Strangely, they began to leave me alone, and eventually became a part of them [and my friend]. By that time I had to leave again. Funny how people won't respect you until you prove you can't be messed with without some cost to the attackers. I didn't win every fight but gave a good account of myself. Something I was proud of, now not so much.
Of course, I had a funny accent for an ethnic Scot, being dragged around the world every couple of years and all. My violence proved one thing to them, that my disabled friend was worth fighting for. Why they didn't accept him fro the get go is a mystery, for I was the foreigner. He was a local boy with bad luck. Of course he wasn't contagious. Just fear I guess. people fear what they don't understand or can't control.

Sorry, pretty off-topic.
Old 11th December 2017, 09:04 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
SideWinder said View Post
Heres an interesting article about Gardisil....

http://www.collective-evolution.com/...with-gardasil/
That isn't an article, it is a heap of crap.

Use google scholar to search and find properly conducted scientific studies of Gardisil and it's side-effects in a peer reviewed journal.
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black, Strato thanked this post
Old 11th December 2017, 10:02 PM
Cuss-tard

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
Quote:
When dad was doing a tour of duty in Scotland, as Royal Air Force brat I was dumped in the local school.

I befriended a lad whose limbs were damaged by polio. In part because we were both outcasts. He also had a working brain and was an interesting fellow with a good sense of humour.

I got into some fights, partly because they pissed me off, and partly because of the bigotry towards someone affected by polio. Well, it was working class Scotland, near Glasgow, and kids were ignorant, usually though no fault of their own.

Strangely, they began to leave me alone, and eventually became a part of them [and my friend]. By that time I had to leave again. Funny how people won't respect you until you prove you can't be messed with without some cost to the attackers. I didn't win every fight but gave a good account of myself. Something I was proud of, now not so much.
Of course, I had a funny accent for an ethnic Scot, being dragged around the world every couple of years and all. My violence proved one thing to them, that my disabled friend was worth fighting for. Why they didn't accept him fro the get go is a mystery, for I was the foreigner. He was a local boy with bad luck. Of course he wasn't contagious. Just fear I guess. people fear what they don't understand or can't control.

Sorry, pretty off-topic.
I'm sure a mod will do a split if it becomes appropriate.

My mate, whose mum had the Crooked Legs, was also very much an outcast and picked on. I didn't understand why at the time, he was a genuinely good person. I don't know if his mother's condition had anything to do with it, or if it was entirely due to his sensitive nature - bloke would break down in tears pretty easily, so I guess that made him a target.

I suppose, though I had no understanding of it at the time, the fact that he was a ranga probably had something to do with it too. It wasn't until years later that I came to even comprehend that redheads are often targets of bigotry.

Anyway, like you I took up the role of my mate's defender. I didn't understand why the fuck people attacked him, but I damned well understood that I had the ability to make them regret it. I had a fierce temper, a deep and aggressive loathing of injustice, and the agricultural and genetic background to ensure that I was both ridiculously strong for my size and naturally fucking adroit. There's a great deal of psychological impact to be delivered by the smallest kid in the class beating the shit out of the biggest, even more if that same little bugger doesn't actually harm the big prick but just holds him down and helpless.

Dad's lessons in Judo came in fucking handy. I think I learned what a figure-4 leglock was around the time I started walking. Knowing the what and where of the carotid also handy.

Funnily enough, I never got in the shit for any of the fights. I don't know if the teachers just didn't know or if it was just a "boys will be boys" attitude, but I never copped any flack from on high for picking that shitburger up by the throat and holding him pinned to the wall whilst I politely and patiently explained to him that it was a deeply unfortunate impulse to follow, the one that led him to bully my friend, and that increasing pressure in his head and the greyness at the corners of his vision were just the beginnings of the inevitable results should he reiterate the following of said impulse.

I didn't say it nearly so long-winded as that, of course. I think it was more like, "If you fucking pick on Luke again, I will come and find you and break you, fuckstick. Do you understand?"

It's difficult to nod whilst pinned a foot off the ground by your windpipe, but he managed.

All of this, of course, led me to studying martial arts because whilst I was apparently inherently blessed in the field of applied violence, I found a need to understand my own violent nature and, by extension, violence in general. I killed my first large mammal with a knife around age 10 (we slaughtered and butchered our own mutton and lamb, I wasn't a psychopath), so causing death wasn't alien to me either, but I damn sure wanted to get a handle on that shit before I inadvertently inflicted it on another human.

Anyway, well into the weeds here. Maybe a friendly mod will find us a suitable new home.

@Goldenmane3

Thank The Irreverent Mr Black, Strato thanked this post
Old 11th December 2017, 10:58 PM
You get what everyone gets....you get a lifetime

This is a photo of Rahima Banu, the last person to contract smallpox.

Now shove your anti-vax bullshit back where you got it.

Last edited by Loki; 11th December 2017 at 11:01 PM.
Like Goldenmane, Darwinsbulldog liked this post
Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
I'm sure a mod will do a split if it becomes appropriate.

My mate, whose mum had the Crooked Legs, was also very much an outcast and picked on. I didn't understand why at the time, he was a genuinely good person. I don't know if his mother's condition had anything to do with it, or if it was entirely due to his sensitive nature - bloke would break down in tears pretty easily, so I guess that made him a target.

I suppose, though I had no understanding of it at the time, the fact that he was a ranga probably had something to do with it too. It wasn't until years later that I came to even comprehend that redheads are often targets of bigotry.

Anyway, like you I took up the role of my mate's defender. I didn't understand why the fuck people attacked him, but I damned well understood that I had the ability to make them regret it. I had a fierce temper, a deep and aggressive loathing of injustice, and the agricultural and genetic background to ensure that I was both ridiculously strong for my size and naturally fucking adroit. There's a great deal of psychological impact to be delivered by the smallest kid in the class beating the shit out of the biggest, even more if that same little bugger doesn't actually harm the big prick but just holds him down and helpless.

Dad's lessons in Judo came in fucking handy. I think I learned what a figure-4 leglock was around the time I started walking. Knowing the what and where of the carotid also handy.

Funnily enough, I never got in the shit for any of the fights. I don't know if the teachers just didn't know or if it was just a "boys will be boys" attitude, but I never copped any flack from on high for picking that shitburger up by the throat and holding him pinned to the wall whilst I politely and patiently explained to him that it was a deeply unfortunate impulse to follow, the one that led him to bully my friend, and that increasing pressure in his head and the greyness at the corners of his vision were just the beginnings of the inevitable results should he reiterate the following of said impulse.

I didn't say it nearly so long-winded as that, of course. I think it was more like, "If you fucking pick on Luke again, I will come and find you and break you, fuckstick. Do you understand?"

It's difficult to nod whilst pinned a foot off the ground by your windpipe, but he managed.

All of this, of course, led me to studying martial arts because whilst I was apparently inherently blessed in the field of applied violence, I found a need to understand my own violent nature and, by extension, violence in general. I killed my first large mammal with a knife around age 10 (we slaughtered and butchered our own mutton and lamb, I wasn't a psychopath), so causing death wasn't alien to me either, but I damn sure wanted to get a handle on that shit before I inadvertently inflicted it on another human.

Anyway, well into the weeds here. Maybe a friendly mod will find us a suitable new home.
Unlike you I wasn't particularly skilled. Just calmly determined. Like a terminator. I was so furious I was calm, if you know what I mean. Pretty weird, I did not enjoy the sensation. But basically, "fuck you I am going to cause you pain, whatever the cost", until mission accomplished.
Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
Sorry, pretty off-topic.

No it isn't, it demonstrates one thing very clearly, among this small select group here a large percentage of us know someone who was adversely affected by polio, and not just by polio, but by discrimination directly related to that Polio over which they had no control. That was a long time ago in human terms, the population was less dense, easier to isolate people, imagine today if there was no Polio vaccine?

That people can read and hear these personal accounts and not understand what a terrible thing polio was and how we are so lucky to have vaccines, I just don't get it, I really don't.
Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM

So sad:-

Old Yesterday, 07:59 PM
Cuss-tard

Quote:
Unlike you I wasn't particularly skilled. Just calmly determined. Like a terminator. I was so furious I was calm, if you know what I mean. Pretty weird, I did not enjoy the sensation. But basically, "fuck you I am going to cause you pain, whatever the cost", until mission accomplished.
I'm familiar with the sensation, yeah. It's pretty surreal, and I can see why you didn't enjoy it.

My own relationship to it is somewhat more ambivalent. It has been useful, at times.

@Goldenmane3

Old Today, 12:21 AM
What Me Deluded?

Quote:
@ Sidewinder:-

Herd immunity is when the majority of the population are vaccinated, and so a vulnerable person [such as a baby] is surrounded by people who are immune.
And of course Darwinsbulldog assumes you understand that being surrounded by people who are immune, the vulnerable baby isn't exposed, even though it is not immunised itself, because the horrible pathogen gets no opportunity to proliferate.

When it does it is called an epidemic. Days of dearth.
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post