Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Mental health and Well-being

Mental health and Well-being For discussion of the Black Dog and associated topics (please note this will be moderated as needed for everyone's safety).

Old 30th November 2017, 07:22 PM
AFA Member

Default Re: How should society manage drug addicts?

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
In the case of schizophrenia, many patients try to self-medicate by smoking cigarettes. The thing is, it often works and takes the edge of the symptoms.
I have a paper on it somewhere. Right now I have to pick up the pooch from the hair dresser.
Old 30th November 2017, 08:12 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Darwinsbulldog said View Post
I have a paper on it somewhere. Right now I have to pick up the pooch from the hair dresser.
As a long haired Boarder Collie, Sam can get a little hot in the summer, so we have to shear him. Kidding. We get his coat thinned out. If I did it he might end up looking like a Zombie, so...................
Old 1st December 2017, 07:01 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
jom said View Post
@pipbarber

I appreciate your honesty in relation to your personal experiences. Im curious though, are you of the belief that addicts will always BE addicts in one way or another? Say for example, if every illegal substance was wiped off the planet (i know this is impossible but please entertain the example) that addicts would simply “use” something else like alcohol of prescription medication? so lets say we banned alcohol and wiped every “legal emotion-altering” substance off the planet, are you of the opinion that “addicts” would simply continue to find things to “abuse” or “misuse” or “become addicted to”?

I think you mentioned “extreme exercise” in one of your previous posts, so I’m curious as to how the mind of an addict works in terms of it being a never ending battle. If it is in fact a never-ending battle - I’m not sure. slightly off topic, But say for example if someone was completely addicted to “jogging” and he/she jogged continuously after work for hours upon hours, then could it be argued that this persons “jogging addiction” has no negative impact on tax payers, law abiding citizens or the safety of the general public? So if someone “chose” to try/use heroin or meth to the point of addiction and then began stealing from friends, family and members of the public, became dependant on government unemployment benefits and became violent towards innocent people, which would unfairly impact negatively upon his/her family, friends, tax payers and innocent members of the public, could it be argued that if this person was not addicted to heroin or ice, that he/she would simply just be addicted to “something else” like jogging, video games, sex, food, TV, sport or even charity work? Or do you think addiction is specific to “substances”?
Hi Jom, i'm not a professional in the area of addiction so i'm basically speaking out of my arse. If you or someone you know needs help with addiction then obviously the smart thing to do is to see a professional, or read their books. But i'm happy to respond anyway, seeing as though you asked directly.

I think some people will have compulsive addictive qualities but obviously people can overcome addiction, they do all the time. When an addiction starts to damage your life or cause misery to others, then it would be necessarily important to be able to access support for breaking the addiction. On the other hand, if an addiction isnt causing anyone any harm and damaging your own life then i see it as benign, be it a substance or some other activity.

In a world with no substances to use, some people would probably get addicted to activities, as they do now. But such a world is a fantasy construct, there'll always be substances for people to have fun with - there always has been.

I'm not sure i've answered your questions very well but one thing i'd add is that it's probably tricky to make sweeping statements about addiction because its enormously variable. I've known heroin addicts that maintained a very decent lifestyle and were quite able to go for weeks without chasing a deal and others that sacrifice every day to the next little bag of powder. Addiction is weird, not always bad, sometimes fun, sometimes devastating. But there are others here who are better schooled in this area than i and i'm very aware of the limitations of my academic knowledge, mostly i speak from experience of my own various addictions but that doesnt make me an expert.
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black thanked this post
Old Today, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Theorease said View Post
I think that boredom is one of the primary causes behind all substance abuse. Given that economic activity is bad for the environment and largely unnecessary in our de-facto post scarcity economies in the advanced (sic) world I would suggest that intellectually satisfying and rewarding occupational therapy should be prioritised.
Hi Theorease,
Yes unemployed youth often have to deal with boredom, and drug addiction unfortunately starts with young teens. I was a cop for about 7 years and my last years were at the Police Youth Clubs. I also coached table tennis in my own time as a volunteer at Newtown (home town of Jeff Fenech the boxer) and Cabrammatta. I got see enormous changes in troubled youth once you made the clubs a fun place to go to keep fit, learn new sports and keep active with adult role models to keep boundaries and structure.

Sure a lot of them still used drugs, but a lot became cleaner and stayed off the streets looking for trouble once you kept them involved and gave them purpose. The word gets around fast in their community and the clubs activities filled to the brim once healthy pursuits and goal setting became new habits. We even took busloads to Camp Mackay in the Blue Mountains for specific sport camps for free. Sadly most of the clubs don't have cops as supervisors and Camp Mackay got sold off in privatization along with Parramatta, Hornsby and lots of smaller clubs.