Go Back   AFA Forums > Science, Logic and Reason > Ask a scientist

Ask a scientist Not up to speed with science jargon but have a sciency question?

Old 21st July 2016, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Data vs theory

I've made the typical error of conflating postulate and theory! ...but I don't think I'm alone in this thread.
Old 21st July 2016, 07:21 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
MikeJay said View Post
So Tycho collected data for no purpose and Kepler then trawled through that data looking for patterns without first having any theories as an objective to trawl through the data in the first place?

Not really 'no purpose' - he did it because it excited him, because he wanted to shore up the divide between a Ptolemaic and Copernican understanding, and because it brought him renown.

But we have to remember, he thought the Sun orbited the Earth! This is not a man famed for his explanatory powers, but for his observation and record-keeping.

Quote:
MikeJay said View Post
I'm trying to come to grips with the notion of collecting or obtaining data for the sole purpose of then trying to find patterns to base a new theory on without having any preconceived idea of a theory to begin with.
For the sake of inquiry? For interest? I also find it difficult to understand your difficulty - imagine people collecting butterflies: they do it because they collect, because of the adventure, because butterflies are beautiful - but a theorist even generations later might be able to use their bean-counting to provide an actual insight into butterfly distribution, or migration, or extinction.

Finally, some people may collect data to support their idea, but then find the data doesn't fit.

Last edited by Spearthrower; 21st July 2016 at 07:24 PM.
Like odd liked this post
Old 22nd July 2016, 11:01 AM
Take my advice, don't listen to me

I think that in this day and age it is a little bit of both. during the early years of experimental science there was no shortage of data but not many (as we now know in hindsight) good theories. moreover, the type of data of concern was widely and easily available and pretty evident: differences in species, planetary motion, chemical reactions. So it was more a case of finding a good theory that fits the data and then validating it. nowadays, I think it is a little more chicken vs. egg. case in point in string theory (which should really be called string hypothesis). sure you could say that the data is that we have 4 forces, a bunch of particles and there is obviously something that makes them work, so what could it be? but this isn't particularly useful because we have good theories for the "macro" data but as we delve into more and more specificity, the data may not be all that easy to find. nor can you collide particles in the LHC and ask "well, what theory can I build from that?". today, it is a co-dependent relationship where you have theoretical physicists (in this case) coming up with models and experimental physicists (in this case) trying to construct experiments that will validate (or not) the theory. so the experiment is guided by what the theory is and the results are used to refine the theory. sometimes, an experiment or an observation comes up with inexplicable or unexpected data requiring a brand new explanation.
Old 24th July 2016, 08:46 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

It goes 'round and 'round. Data suggests a hypothesis. Hypothesis suggests experiments. Experiments gather new data to put up against the hypothesis. Hypothesis is reinforced or alterations made or new hypothesis required. Spin. Rinse. Repeat.

Sometimes a perceptual framework, like a hypothesis, can get you to see old data in a new light. Sometimes new data from casual observation, or experiment aimed at something else, boinks into an existing theory or hypothesis and prompts change.

The important thing is that thesis cannot override data.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 24th July 2016, 09:58 PM
Trust me, I'm not a doctor.

Quote:
tmorg said View Post
Scientists should follow the data right and not the theory? This question was prompted by the book I am reading "The Elegant Universe: Superstrings, Hidden Dimensions and the Quest for the Ultimate Theory" [1999] by Brian Greene. Data first and then theory in that order? This is preferable to formulating a theory and then looking for the data to fit it e.g. superstrings? (I realise there is already a discussion about this.)
First of all, great book. One of my favourite works of popular science.

Here's the thing:

Theories are data led, but investigations are theory led. It's a complex relationship, with one leading to the other and back again all the time. In order to formulate a theory, we need data. In order to derive predictions about what observations and experiments will show, we need theory. In order to test theory, we need data. Rinse and repeat.

M-Theory is an interesting case, not because it's any different to other theories with regard to how it progresses, but because it's been around a long time without strongly testable predictions. That's not to say it hasn't made any, but that what predictions have arisen from it are not easily testable.

The big problem for M-Theory is its incompleteness. Ultimately, as the book will tell you, theorists don't actually know what the final theory will look like, because the mathematics driving it is so horrendously difficult, which has resulted in progress being slow.

There are those who think it should be abandoned and that too much time and money has been spent on it already. I'm not one of them. I do think that it's favoured above other lines of enquiry where it shouldn't be, but I also still think that it's our most promising route to resolving the central problem of physics. Other approaches look promising in terms of unifying gravity and quantum mechanics (and I read a new paper this week by Sean Carroll et al detailing another new approach that I think is incredibly elegant), but none of them have the complete scope of M-Theory. It's also the most elegant potential solution I've come across because, at bottom, there's a single entity, the brane (poly-dimensional string). This resolves an awful lot of what are seen as issues in the standard model, because we need to understand why6 there are so many different particles, especially when only a few of them are required to construct a universe like the one we observe. M-Theory is the only framework we have that offers an explanation for this 'particle zoo'.

We should be looking in other areas, but we should still investigate M-Theory. It's also worth noting that M-Theory has provided huge advances in mathematics generally, so it's fruitful in that respect, regardless of whether it's breaking enough ground in unification.

I'll link a couple of blog posts for you.

http://reciprocity-giving-something-...hy-art-of.html
http://reciprocity-giving-something-...ction-and.html

Like Spearthrower, Strato, DanDare liked this post
Old 25th July 2016, 10:55 PM
What Me Deluded?

Loved your posts on the art of philosophy and how science proceeds, and on fallacies, linked to, hack.
Old 25th July 2016, 11:13 PM

Thanks. Number9?

Old 26th July 2016, 11:54 AM
AFA Member

Data, theory.....it is the what came first, chicken or egg conundrum. In the beginning there were gods, which were placeholders for shit we couldn't understand. Gods were the explaination [often not very good ones, but the only explanations on offer].
The empiriacal evidence drove descriptive and predictive models. For example, the explanation for why there are so many species of birds and how they change over time was due to Darwin's Theory.

But as Mayr & Diamond noted in their studies of New Guinea birds, the indigenous tribes already had an empirical theory of bird species that described and predicted behaviour, but did not explain. There was an almost exact correlation between indigenous and scientific bird species. [The "why" bit was explained by legends and gods].

Vaccuum energy is in a similar state today. No explaination, just an empirical model.

Although finding out the 'whys" in science is the goal of many, science is really about "the hows" -descriptive and predictive models. Even proximate causes can be hard to pin down, never mind ultimates causes. With the rise of super-gods [Yahweh & co], the assumption of ultimate causes became absurd. [The four "Omnis"]

God is of course, the ultimate null hypothesis, because such a universe would look nothing like our own, or might indeed be impossible.
Old 26th July 2016, 07:16 PM
Take my advice, don't listen to me

Quote:
hackenslash said View Post
I read a new paper this week by Sean Carroll et al detailing another new approach that I think is incredibly elegant
any chance for a link?
Old 26th July 2016, 08:05 PM

There's a link in this blog post explaining it.