Go Back   AFA Forums > News and Social > News and Current Affairs

News and Current Affairs News reports related to (but not restricted to) religion, atheism and woo.

Old 13th August 2017, 01:53 PM
Improvises with common tools.

Default Re: Liberal Party votes no change on same-sex marriage policy

Re the Pleb-shite.

From a source I won't name:
Quote:
There are several memes doing the rounds at the moment which suggest filling the envelope of one's marriage equality postal thingie (it's non binding so I won't call it a vote) with glitter.

Deeply pleasing as the idea is, please don't. Incoming mail will be screened and anything registering as containing unidentified material will likely be incinerated.

Next time a Von-Danikenesque fucknugget arises,
remind me of the Socratic method.
Old 13th August 2017, 04:04 PM
Omu'sata

Quote:
I believe historically and legally, and culturally and religiously, that marriage is between a man and a woman.
Your 'beliefs' can be contradicted by facts, Mr Neumann.

Historically, there have been same sex marriages all over the world.
Legally, the current definition of marriage was only inserted in 2004 and just as easily be changed.
Culturally, other western nations are way ahead of us and we have string polling in favour of change here.
Religiously is irrelevant as marriage has not required a religious test since 1967.

Please stop allowing your personal, non-factual beliefs to colour your parliamentary decision making.
Thank DanDare thanked this post
Old 14th August 2017, 12:17 PM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

Important observations from Michael Pascoe in Fairfax:

Tony Abbott's 'No' vote can win the same-sex marriage debate

Quote:
If there ever was an excellent case made for compulsory voting, it's the election of Donald Trump. Boris Johnson's Brexit vote is another example, whereby it was possible to thwart the will of the majority.

The optional nature of the Liberal Party's Mickey Mouse postal survey, let alone the gaps in registration, is why Tony Abbott's 'No' vote can win ...
More at link.
Thank The Irreverent Mr Black, DanDare thanked this post
Old 14th August 2017, 04:32 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Quote:
Blue Lightning said View Post
Important observations from Michael Pascoe in Fairfax:

Tony Abbott's 'No' vote can win the same-sex marriage debate

Quote:
If there ever was an excellent case made for compulsory voting, it's the election of Donald Trump. Boris Johnson's Brexit vote is another example, whereby it was possible to thwart the will of the majority.

The optional nature of the Liberal Party's Mickey Mouse postal survey, let alone the gaps in registration, is why Tony Abbott's 'No' vote can win ...
More at link.
And now lets add the fact that the vote paper will have a personally identifying bar code on it. Now the ABS I'm sure will keep the personal details and the vote separate. But this will put deep fear into many yes voters and they may refrain from voting because of it. It probably holds no such fear for no voters.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Thank Blue Lightning thanked this post
Old 14th August 2017, 04:52 PM
Religion or Reality, choose...

Anybody else noticed the ABC has zero news items about the plebecite now? The no case is powering up all over The Australian etc. The ABC is a blank.

Burden of proof is the obligation on somebody presenting a claim to provide evidence to support its truth (a warrant). Once evidence has been presented, it is up to any opposing "side" to show the evidence presented is not adequate. If claims were accepted without warrants, then every claim could simultaneously be claimed to be true.

History isn't written by the victors. It's written by the people with the time machines.
Old 14th August 2017, 05:12 PM
Improvises with common tools.

Quote:
DanDare said View Post
Anybody else noticed the ABC has zero news items about the plebecite now? The no case is powering up all over The Australian etc. The ABC is a blank.
I'm not an ALP party member, or even much of an admirer ("not-the-Libs" isn't sufficient persuasion for me): still, I have noticed the ABC having "better things to do" when a Labor announcement, presser, etc is happening, or suddenly dropping the feed with a frequency that makes tech failure unlikely.

Next time a Von-Danikenesque fucknugget arises,
remind me of the Socratic method.
Old 14th August 2017, 05:29 PM
AFA Member

The murdoch news.com.au site has been pretty good on the issue, in my opinion. The ABC is in a hopeless place given the current government but generally the mainstream press has favoured the yes view, from what i've seen recently. Of course it goes without saying, i could be wrong, or just blind to 'no' based articles. Still, i don't believe the alt-right xtian conservatives have a disproportionally loud voice, but i don't think that with any degree of certainty.

I have no idea what is happening on free to air tv. Can anyone summarise a trend from that media?