Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Politics

Politics Political issues which help or hinder our society

Old 6th December 2017, 06:39 PM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

Default Re: Political News Sticky.

The entire Lower House cross bench sat together on the opposition benches, voting as a block in a division today, in relation to the s44/citizenship issues.

One question -

Who is the happiest mad katter of all?

"The 'Nays' have it."

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DQWIKqcWsAAMG0g.jpg-large.jpg (54.1 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by Blue Lightning; 6th December 2017 at 06:42 PM.
Laugh at The Irreverent Mr Black, Strato, loubert laughed at this post
Old 6th December 2017, 10:16 PM
Strato
This message has been deleted by Strato.
Old 6th December 2017, 10:18 PM
What Me Deluded?

Is that a sheepskin?
Old 6th December 2017, 10:44 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
Blue Lightning said View Post
The entire Lower House cross bench sat together on the opposition benches, voting as a block in a division today, in relation to the s44/citizenship issues.

One question -

"The 'Nays' have it."

He doesnt have any friends! Look at the good times everyone else is having. Poor Bob. Someone has to raise the crocodile problem...i think, although to be honest i'm a bit stumped by the crocodile concern but then again i'm in melbourne so what would i know.
Old 7th December 2017, 09:16 AM
And if I can reach the pedals, I'll be sweet

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
Quote:

One question -

"The 'Nays' have it."

He doesnt have any friends! Look at the good times everyone else is having. Poor Bob. Someone has to raise the crocodile problem...i think, although to be honest i'm a bit stumped by the crocodile concern but then again i'm in melbourne so what would i know.
Maybe the crocodile problem is that Melboune doesn't have any.
Old 7th December 2017, 09:19 AM
An old banger, but almost unstoppable.

@Cyclist: A perfect addition for the Parly House pools, those crocs!

EDIT: After Katter's speech last night, crocodiles in the corridors seem like a good idea, just on the off-chance he'll be taken.

My confirmation bias is better 'n your confirmation bias.

Last edited by The Irreverent Mr Black; 7th December 2017 at 10:13 AM.
Old 7th December 2017, 01:22 PM
Merry Mythmass!

Quote:

One question -

"The 'Nays' have it."

He is smiling, you can see it in his eyes, he's just holding it back.
Laugh at Blue Lightning laughed at this post
Old 7th December 2017, 11:58 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
The Irreverent Mr Black said View Post

EDIT: After Katter's speech last night, crocodiles in the corridors seem like a good idea, just on the off-chance he'll be taken.
Good job I am a rational atheist and not an unhinged nutter, otherwise I would suggest we shouldn't leave something like that to chance!
Old 8th December 2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
stevebrooks said View Post
Quote:

Good job I am a rational atheist and not an unhinged nutter, otherwise I would suggest we shouldn't leave something like that to chance!
Since you're not an unhinged nutter, you will make certain of it?

Laugh at The Irreverent Mr Black laughed at this post
Old 8th December 2017, 06:50 AM

A recent OP in The Age by Michael Short, chief editorial writer:

Penny Wong should be our next Prime Minister

Quote:

There are lots of admirable people in our parliaments. This is about three of them: people who exhibit altruism, integrity and authenticity, who embrace evidence-based policy rather than ideology, and who have convictions and the courage to battle for them respectfully.

Senate Opposition Leader Penny Wong is what we should seek in a lawmaker – experienced, principled, collaborative. She is steely but not uncompromising …

Penny Wong is one of the best leaders in contemporary Australian history. It is a shame she is not in the lower house, as she, above all others in our Federal Parliament, would make the best prime minister.

While Penny Wong was striving to turn her party around on marriage equality, Queensland Liberal backbencher Warren Entsch was doing the same thing within the Coalition. For years, this former welder, farmer, company director and real estate agent worked diligently to convince his colleagues that the only thing that would happen when Australia joined the rest of the industrialised world in passing marriage equality was that people in love would marry. He has helped many people realise that conflating same-sex marriage with parents' rights and freedom of speech and religion is nonsense.

Fiona Patten, a member of the Victorian upper house, is founder and leader of the Reason Party ... She has been a calm, courteous advocate for a range of policies based on evidence, and is a champion of individual rights. She has raised community awareness about a number of fundamental issues.

She was instrumental in two recent groundbreaking changes – the trial of a safe injecting space for adult heroin users, and meticulous legislation to permit physician-assisted dying under strictly regulated circumstances. Her policy platform draws on evidence and is sensible and decent. It is designed, above all, to protect individual freedom and human rights.

Voters are rightly royally pissed off with the status quo. In Penny Wong and Warren Entsch they can, though, find some succour that the mainstream parties are not totally bereft. And in Fiona Patten, they can support a lawmaker motivated by public interest above party power.
Like loubert, DanDare liked this post
Old 8th December 2017, 09:50 AM
AFA Member

Quote:

When they start talking about the disappearing [white] "Australian Race" [sic] its code for the alt right, KKK, pro slavery, colonialist white Australia exterminate and subjugate politics. Its deeply troubling.