Go Back   AFA Forums > Religion, Unreason and Similar Tropes > Religions

Religions Discussions on the various world religions and their impacts now and throughout history.

Old 24th September 2017, 09:49 AM
AFA Member

Default Burn the heretic, burn him!

It appears the Pope has been accused of heresy, while I don't for a moment think we should go back to the bad old days of executing heretics, surely that's required if we are going to follow the medieval scriptures exactly!

As far as I am concerned the Pope can live the rest of his life in irrelevance as long as he keeps his irrelevance far away from me.

Quote:
In a 25-page letter delivered to Francis last month and provided on Saturday to The Associated Press, the 62 signatories issued a "filial correction" to the Pope - a measure they said hadn't been employed since the 14th century.

Yes lets do everything way they did in the 14th century, what could go wrong? No seriously, what could go wrong?

http://www.news.com.au/world/breakin...ce21677d657f17
Old 24th September 2017, 09:52 AM
Dog v2.0 is my co-pilot

Default Re: Burn the heretic, burn him!

Like a rules argument around a Bludgeons & Braggarts table, innit?

If the sleep of reason produces monsters, what does the sleep of unreason produce? - Guillermo Cabrera Infante

Laugh at DanDare laughed at this post
Old 24th September 2017, 12:38 PM
AFA Member

I reckon it'd be alright if they went back to the Middle Ages. We could get two or three competing popes up and going and they could all take their followers to a field in Tuscany for a bit of biffo
Old 26th September 2017, 12:43 AM
What Me Deluded?

It must be just me but in reading the article, Bishop Bernard Fellay conjured images of fellating and flaying of which I'm sure he himself is ever trying to get behind him like the Devil.

Life was simpler in the C14th. They deeply understood conformism and atonement for one's sins, or they would be made aware of this. They knew all about the Devil back then, if little else.
Old 6th October 2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
stevebrooks said View Post
It appears the Pope has been accused of heresy, while I don't for a moment think we should go back to the bad old days of executing heretics, surely that's required if we are going to follow the medieval scriptures exactly!

Few read the scriptures in the 14th century except the Pope and his mignons. The popular landscape was dominated by the veneration of relics. Stuff like shards of the One True Cross, the milk of Mary, bits of the crown of thorns, the bones and body parts of legendary Christian martyrs and saints, the foreskins of Jesus ..... ON and ON and ON it goes.

I have just finished reading Charles Freeman's book:
Holy Bones, Holy Dust How Relics Shaped the History of Medieval Europe

REVIEW HERE:
http://www.historytoday.com/blog/201...ones-holy-dust

Quote:
Yes lets do everything way they did in the 14th century, what could go wrong? No seriously, what could go wrong?

Living under the laws of Heresy? Nothing should go wrong if you kept your mouth shut and avoided the inquisitions by fleeing the country.

All this bullshit started in the Christian Revolution of the 4th century. (Constantine to Theodosius) That's when we first find Roman laws proscribing burning people alive.

315 CE
Codex Theodosianus 16.8.1

"Any Jew who stones a Jewish convert to Christianity shall be burned, and no one is allowed to join Judaism.

"It is, I think, expedient to set forth to all mankind the reasons by which I was convinced that the fabrication of the christians is a fiction of men composed by wickedness. Though it has in it nothing divine, by making full use of that part of the soul which loves fable and is childish and foolish, it has induced men to believe that the monstrous tale is truth." ... Emperor Julian (362 CE)