Go Back   AFA Forums > Secularism and Social Issues > Mental health and Well-being

Mental health and Well-being For discussion of the Black Dog and associated topics (please note this will be moderated as needed for everyone's safety).

Old 9th February 2017, 06:39 PM

Default Re: Getting my life back together.

No religiousness directly but all the girls have long hair with a ribbon or headband. Virtually nil swearing, no student has a mobile phone. We are not supposed to discuss 'worldly' things with them, and they do not share aspects of their cultural life with us. Blasphemy is forbidden in front of the students. On sport days I can wear shorts but they must go past the knees. Female staff cannot wear pants or shorts.
Old 9th February 2017, 07:38 PM
"Mr Charles Darwin had the gall to ask"

Quote:
Spearthrower said View Post
... over 100 metres, I reckon I could beat any and all comers (give or take exceptional sprinters). I was one step from national level when I was a teenager (pentathlon and 100 metres), but found rocknroll, drugs, and sex more compelling.
100m? OK, next time you're in Oz, you're on!

Fishy can be the starter!
Old 9th February 2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
c2105026 said View Post
A week into it, I've a much better grasp of discipline, on some classes in particular. One class is a bit problematic, and it is a class that I wasn't expecting to be with issues. OTOH the class I was told could be problematic, I have developed fantastic rapport with and are eating out of the palm of my hand.
Good news, c2105026 - It's a good sign that you've tamed the class with a reputation for problems . I hope you'll iron out the wrinkles in your dealings with the other one soon
Old 9th February 2017, 07:57 PM
AFA Member

I used to growl, and occasionally bite my students [kidding!]. Anyway, they knew a ferocious puppy when they saw one.
Old 15th March 2017, 05:58 PM
AFA Member

Well into the school year now, how's it going with the new gig?
Old 23rd March 2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
pipbarber said View Post
Well into the school year now, how's it going with the new gig?
Hahahahaha
Yeh ok

Yr7s are very chatty and require constant jumping on due to being silly - but when directed they will work.
Yr8s are alright - quite high ability cohort actually, behaviour generally good
Yr9s - Not terribly motivated but will work if I offer rewards eg if they finish their work, they can go on their computers.
Yr10s - some very problematic students, which is an absolute pity because their general ability is quite reasonable.
Yr11s - arrogant and rude as fuck. Some reasonable students, but the others seem to spend the entire lesson trying to irritate me. Crux of the issue is that with lives already mapped out to be quite limited, there is precisely zero motivation to do the right thing educationally.
Yr12 - I don't teach them.

Where appropriate, I utilise the school discipline system. Management is very supportive.

Had one classroom observation of my yr10s, my supervisor doing the observing - she was happy.

Assuming they are still happy with me I will see out the year but no more, probably. This student behaviour is frankly not much better than middle-class public schools I have taught in. It is a strange situation. Very, very strange situation. This week I did consider giving notice for the end of term but a major contributing factor for my general funk is that my addicitive behaviours have resurfaced. Smoking and binge eating at this stage. Also, I have been job hunting in my area before and unless I want to move it will be a very long time before I find something reasonable again.

I am aware of my Year 8s drinking at community gatherings on the weekend. I had a group of year 11s turn up a bit tipsy to my class after lunch. 100% condoned by the community.

Last edited by c2105026; 23rd March 2017 at 11:21 PM.
Old 24th March 2017, 09:48 AM
AFA Member

Quote:
c2105026 said View Post

I am aware of my Year 8s drinking at community gatherings on the weekend. I had a group of year 11s turn up a bit tipsy to my class after lunch. 100% condoned by the community.
The rebel in me says, 'good for them.'

Stick it out dude, its hard to get teaching gigs during the year and you've got the first holiday pending.
Old 24th March 2017, 03:39 PM
AFA Member

Quote:
c2105026 said View Post
No religiousness directly but all the girls have long hair with a ribbon or headband. Virtually nil swearing, no student has a mobile phone. We are not supposed to discuss 'worldly' things with them, and they do not share aspects of their cultural life with us. Blasphemy is forbidden in front of the students. On sport days I can wear shorts but they must go past the knees. Female staff cannot wear pants or shorts.
Anecdote:-
An [ex] Catholic friend related an event when she boarded at school. A nun gave her very sage advice, suggested to the girl to put several sheets of toilet paper in the bowl before urinating. This will muffle the sounds of tinkling and thus prevent lustful thoughts, which would have inevitably lead to the sin of masturbation!

"Projection" much?

Old 18th April 2017, 07:45 PM

Anyway just to update things - school seems to be going ok for now. Did the Canberra Half Marathon in 2:03:42 (opted out of the full as I felt I wasn't fit enough to enjoy it). Next big running event will be either the full or half marathon in the Sydney Running Festival in September.

Got a new 'classic' car. Sold the Volvo as its respray was botched and would have cost a fortune to put right.....wound up with a 2000 VTII Commodore. May sound unexceptional but its a rare ex-Olympic fleet vehicle, its a local vehicle with comprehensive history. 100% completely original.
Old 18th April 2017, 10:52 PM

2:03:42 at Canberra is a solid effort, c2105026. Congratulations!

The Sydney Running Festival is one of the nation's greatest participation-based events. A wonderful event, well worth it!

I might be running that day ...

Last edited by Blue Lightning; 18th April 2017 at 10:54 PM.